Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:19 PM   #11

Also, one more question for this very informative group:

If I went with a 28-300 zoom for kind of an everyday lens, opposed to a 18-200 lens - what is the negative of doing that and how much am I going to lose on the short (28) end by not having 18mm? I just want to have at least one utility lens that has a wide range and plenty of zoom.

And I guess if I got one of the lenses above, I should get the kit lens with the body to have that around?

Thanks for bearing with me while I learn.

David

PS so am I supposed to post some pictures when I get this camera? :}
aztec506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 3:56 AM   #12

3rd Party lenses like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina make good lenses as well.

I own a Sigma 70-300mm that can give you a good 1:2 macro. Reasoable price for performance and quality.

If yor budget allow, Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 or Tamron 17-35mm is a good start anda good walk around lens.

I will avoid the minolta 18-70 kit lens as I don't quite like theresults.

Just my preference.

doublechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 6:41 AM   #13

aztec506,

MINOLTA LENS !!!!!!!
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:42 PM   #14

Tough choice…I was fighting the FZ30 or 5D battle a few months back. The 5D won that fight and I have been pretty happy ever since however I must say that to actually get as fast of glass with the zoom range of the FZ's you are going to spend more than you may think for the 5D. The 18-200 is an f5.6 lens at the tele end where the FZ20 is still f2.8. So, you'll have to shoot at ISO 400 with the 5d compared to ISO 100 with the FZ to get similar shutter and aperture settings. Not the end of the world since at ISO 800 the 5D has very little noise so there is still an advantage but you may want to consider possibly a different lens, or two, as you're standards to really gain an advantage in low light over the FZ20. Also, I have read but cannot verify that the 18-200 lenses for the KM's are not that sharp where the FZ's are pretty good.

FZ20 is on sale at circuit city online right now for around $460 last I checked…

KM 5D I have seen on ebay for around $600 new body only + ~$300 in glass = $900 but a very nice setup.
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 2:12 PM   #15

The 5D will take much better pics. I had a FZ20 for a year and it was a good camera but limited. High level of noise and artifacts, no raw, poor WB, ugly skin tones, etc. Buy a 5D w/ kit lens and used Minolta 70-210 F4 as a start and decide what you need lens wise after using the camera. The 18-200 lens give up a lot of picture quality. You'll end up wanting better as the camera can resolve more detail than that lens.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:50 PM   #16

:Thanks for the very informative info.

TROY - I had a question for one of your statements
If the 5D's ISO is set to AUTO, wont it compensate for the F5.6 end of the telephoto? Or would one have to set that manually? I might be getting in over my head here. I thought you could put the zoom lens on, and for instance, set the shutter speed in S mode and everything else would take care of itself. Please tell me if Im mistaken.

RE:
The 18-200 is an f5.6 lens at the tele end where the FZ20 is still f2.8. So, you'll have to shoot at ISO 400 with the 5d compared to ISO 100 with the FZ to get similar shutter and aperture settings."

Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:53 PM   #17

Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:03 PM   #18

Sorry, my full question didnt get posted.

If a person put the 18-200mm lens @ f5.6 on the 5D and for instance went to the S mode and set a certain speed and the ISO was set to auto, wouldnt the 5D compensate for the F5.6 speed and raise the ISO to the appropriate level? or would that have to be done manually?

I dont really understand why the ISO would have to be @ 400 to be equal to ISO of 100 on the FZ20 @ a constant F2.8 to be approximately the same.

Im in over my head here.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 11:28 PM   #19

aztec506 wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, my full question didnt get posted.

If a person put the 18-200mm lens @ f5.6 on the 5D and for instance went to the S mode and set a certain speed and the ISO was set to auto, wouldnt the 5D compensate for the F5.6 speed and raise the ISO to the appropriate level? or would that have to be done manually?

I dont really understand why the ISO would have to be @ 400 to be equal to ISO of 100 on the FZ20 @ a constant F2.8 to be approximately the same.

Im in over my head here.
In that situation if you set the ISO to AUTO on the 5D it would adjust automatically to the correct level as long as you don't need it to be more than ISO 400. Anything more that 400 speed and you have to change it manually.

Two primary things control how much light lands on the sensor of a camera with a given amount of light available, aperture and shutter speed. ISO speed is a numerical representation of how sensitive the sensor is to light. Aperture and shutter speed adjust inversly to each other. Example - f2.8 (aperture) @ 1/100 (shutter speed) will result in the same amountof light landing on the sensor as f4.0 @ 1/50 second, and also the same as f5.6 @ 1/25th.

ISO speedchanges how much light you need on the sensor to acheive the same exposure of the image. So, working backwards from the example above - f5.6 @ 1/25 - ISO 100 should result in the same exposure of the image as f5.6 @ 1/50 - ISO 200 and the samealso as f5.6 @ 1/100 - ISO 400. This is because ISO speed is also inverse to shutter speed or aperture or a combination of both.

So, f2.8 @ 1/100 ISO 100 in theory allows the same amount of light to find the sensor as f5.6 @ 1/100 ISO 400. This is because f5.6 is two stops less light than f2.8 but ISO 400 is two stops more sensitive to light than ISO 100.

You pretty much need to balance an equation with three (primary)variables in order to acheive the correct exposure.

I know it's a bit confusing at first but you'll get the hang of it once you start shooting and experimenting a bit. I also absolutely feel that the 5D is a better camera even with the 18-200 lens but think that to really shine over the FZ's you need to invest a bit more money to see more results. However the 5D won't limit you nearly as much as the FZ will in the future.

I hope this explains a bit for you...ask if there is anything else!
Old Dec 15, 2005, 2:40 PM   #20

http://www.photonhead.com/beginners/stops.php

Check out that page...perfect for what I think you're looking for.