Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:58 AM   #21

Bravo Troy Carter!

Your response is 100% true! BTW...I also own two more "NON" interchangeable lenses, the Panasonic FZ-20 (I love Leica lens!), & later the Fuji FinePix S9500, the FZ-20 for outside photos, the S9500 I love the swing up LCD, extremely usefull with "LOW" position shoots...!.

From last week the KM 5D as my film camera "Always" was a Minolta body today a Maxxum 9xi, so with 5 lenses for it...was a logical choice...more that exist rumors that the lovely 7D will soon be stopped...!!!???

Only...that my Film 5600 HSS flash DON'T work on my 5D body...Very Pity...!!! However, I still owning 3 "Old" "Auto' type single centrally contact...in Manual position on the KM 5D works super well, I selct the F stop mainly 5,6 with 200 ISO, speed 1/60 90% of the time, the "Auto" sensor at F:5,6 click position; from any of my 3 flashes measures exactly when to cut the flash...No a ptoblem at all!!! Decided NOT to spend/spell money on a new "D" type flash.

Greetings,

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 2:44 AM   #22

aztec506 wrote
Quote:
Im leaning towards the 5D and if I go that route Id probably just purchase the 18-200 lens and use that as an everyday lens instead of buying the kit and then adding a 28-300 or a 70-300 lens. That way I wouldnt be lugging around a bunch of lenses.

I like the FZ20, but as you all mentioned, it does have its limitations. Pretty neat camera though.
Tussock Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 2:47 AM   #23

aztec506 wrote:
Quote:
Im leaning towards the 5D and if I go that route Id probably just purchase the 18-200 lens ........
I like the FZ20, but as you all mentioned, it does have its limitations.
I have beeing using the FZ20's older brother, the 4 megapixel FZ10, for two years now (It was NZ$1200, but the FZ20 is now $900 here) on a part-time job taking photos at an Army training camp in New Zealand, for use in the army's newspaper. And I have just bought a KM 5D with an 18-200 lens and a 3600HS wireless flash (NZ$2500) to compliment the FZ10.

The FZ is superb for outdoor action photos in good light. I have run across rough ground with the camera zoomed on soldiers advancing beside me and got sharp photos. It is light enough to hold easily in one hand and small enough to tuck inside my padded jacket in drizzling rain. I have dropped it on concrete, bumped it against army vehicles and I had it die on me when it got too damp (two days in the hot water cupboard revived it). I have dozens of great action pictures published, including one of soldiers advancing 1200 metres away.

Also its photo burst of 5 pics in 1.7 seconds is good for catching brief action sequences (like an artillery shellcase firing and then ejecting or the shell leaving the barrel) and the movie function on it is also useful.

But is is not good in difficult light situations - of a group posing half in shade and half in bright sun, or on a bright summer day near noon of medal presentations where hat-brims shields medal winners' faces, or soldiers are under camouflage netting, or are indoors. Its pop up flash is unreliable and has a limited range, so that army night exercises in the field are almost impossible to do.

Also its mini-TV screen viewfinder gives only a fuzzy aproximation of the scene.

My new KM 5D SLR viewfinder gives me a much better view of what I am photographing. And the 3600HS flash has solved most of my lighting problems. Using the flash in wireless mode, holding it in my outstretched left hand while I work the camera with my right, gives well lit and wonderfully shaded faces - (although I tend to punch bystanders on the jaw when I fling my left hand out!!!) - and I'm now getting good face shots under camouflage netting and under medal winners' hats too.

I have also bought a cheap secondhand prime f1.7 50mm lens which is great for portrait shots where only the face is in focus. I could not do this with the FZ.

The KM 5D plus the 18-200 lens is much heavier to hold for long periods, and I'm not sure if the antishake mechanism is as good, Also it is nearly 3 times as expensive, so it gives me more concern should it be stolen or smashed.

Attached here is a compressed image made from two sequences taken with the FZ10.

Attached Images

Tussock Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 3:10 AM   #24

Hi Doublechin!

Sorry, I own from last month a Dynax 5D, with the kit...+ from my film body Maxxum 9xi, another 5 lenses, 4 zooms a Tokina one, two Sigmas a Minolta one & the original macro 100mm Minolta. Mostly of my photo I use the provided "Kit' lens...or maybe, I'm a lucky owner...but my "Kit" lens is terrific good, of course ALL my photos are "post-worked on"...trough my Picasa 2.1 organizer software, before I copy to a Cd for make prints on any "Mini-Lab"....99.99% "Postcards" 10x15 cm/4x6inch. What I'm conceiving, is to buy or exchanged one of my zooms for the Tamron 11/18mm zoom, as sometimes I really need more wide angle that the "Kit" one =28mm on film camera.

My 2.6 cent suggest!!!!

Regards,

ALEX 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote