Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 15, 2005, 9:49 PM   #1

Hello to all Minolta DSLR fans!

Yesterday I buy my first DSLR a Dynax 5D kit, so I can use also my other 5 Maxxum 9xi lenses, a Tokina 34/200mm zoom. Sigma 18/35mm zoom, 70/300mm APO zoom, Minolta original 24/85mm & Macro 100mm.

As my lenses mostly where acquired when I brought my first Maxxum 7000 model, any advice; heart fully information from all of you, regarding such "Oldies" lenses compatibility...with my newer 5D body will be extremely welcome!

Thanks!

Greetings,

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:28 AM   #2

all minolta 'A' series (maxxum) lenses are compatible

MC and MD (manual focus) lenses are NOT i
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 10:59 AM   #3

Hi Bernabeu!

Yes of course I already comprehend....that "A" mount fit only, however my question is if; NOT only Minolta made brand will work 100% well?

As you quoted, or readed in my post...I want to know how works with my other two "3rd Part" or "Compatible" lenses, from Tokina & Sigma with "A" mount.

Thanks anyway,

Cheers,

Old Dec 16, 2005, 12:46 PM   #4

Its supposed to fit all lens made with the A mount, regardless of the brand, HOWEVER, there were some uses with issue with their older lens when it is not made by Minolta, ranging from AF problem to AS problem. In Minolta's own manual it also says they do not guarantee AS to work with 3rd party lens...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 10:31 PM   #5

Dear RacingManiac!

So...,till yet "NO" any seriously reply to my question, for that; during this week I will put my 5D body on my extremely sturdy "Linhof" tripod..and using the 2 minutes selftimer...I will try by myself checking; how my lenses collection work with my very recently acquired body.

You all will be posted with MY sole results!

Thanks anyway!

Greetings.

Alex 007
:|
Old Dec 19, 2005, 5:15 PM   #6

I have a Sigma 70-300mm gold ring version and it works very well with my 5D producing nice sharp images.
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 11:22 PM   #7

Hi IKKi!

To all Minolta 5D fans owners or future owners, I just finish my trial run how good works my in particular body with all my lenses...& here is want I found.

Concerning the AS issue, really I can't tell you, as ALL my test where with the camera in my sturdy Linhof tripod AS OFF!

With ALL my lenses collection...the photos were well exposed & super sharp ones. So for outside photos it's OK for me!

Seeing..the problems is ONLY after my deeply test only with the Flash issue...missing of 3 more contacts...makes the "ADI" flash issue very unusefulness...! The internal flash fires all the times "full" output...so I MUST make test and write the results with distances from the camera subject each time closing the diaphragm till excellent results are obtainable. Practicably NOT!!!

Same results with my film in use 5600HSS flash...do not work with the Digitally line Minoltas.

I'm very lucky that owning also a Panasonic FZ-20 & Fuji S9500 cameras, where do not use any "Dedicated" flashes, I can use, my 3 Auto eye; in "Auto" position and adapter from "Usually" flash contact to the unique Minolta one..., as once when I own the first Minolta autofocus the legendary; Maxxum 7000.. when was exchanged by the 8000 I buy such adaptor for be capable to use my Maxxum 4000 flash from the 7000 body to 8000 model with the changed unique Minolta hot shoe.

I tested with my older "Auto" flashes in Manual speed 1/60 AS off, and really works amazing well! So I will continue when flash will be requisite trough one of my many "Oldies" central contact shoe flashguns.

OK..folks!...that's all, thank you; for your time reading my test!

Greetings,

Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:32 AM   #8

Alex, how do you find the S9500 compared to the 5D?
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 3:04 PM   #9

If your 5600 is not HS-D it will not work well with the 5D. As to the internal flash you must be doing something wrong if the flash fires at full power all the time. If not you may have a bum camera. Read the manual again and see if maybe you've got something in the settings wrong. Try pre-flash TTL. I hope I understood your English correctly.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:09 PM   #10

Dear Ikki!

As I "HATE"...changing lenses outside my home, after that I clean the floor in a wet manner so dust don't "Fly"...around, I will stay with my Fuji S9500 for outside trip...so from 28mm till 300mm lens, it's more that adequate with good climate or sunny day.

As you can comprehend...it's NOT a requirement to change lenses!

Regards,