Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 18, 2005, 7:01 AM   #1

finally got my D5, love it, knew i would.

would like to know how much difference in print quality should i get in ( laymans terms ) between using raw, extra fine , or fine setting:?
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2005, 6:13 PM   #2

I cerrtainly can't tell any difference in normal sized images between fine and extra fine. As I have moved over from film slr and digital p & s, raw is still fairly new to me, though I am experimenting with it.

The in camera processing doesn't seem to be as agressive as in some other makes like Pentax, so if I compare the raw and jpeg side by side, if they are processed to give the same basic image, there is little to see. It may be a different story if you make large photos or blow your images up a lot.

Where raw could win is that it gives complete control over the basic image, whereas you have to accept any changes done during in camera processing with jpeg.
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 6:52 PM   #3
TJM

It is possible to extract sligtly more detail from a RAW image because there is no data being discarded during compression. But I'm guessing that you are using a JPEG file for your prints, so there may be little to be gained. I always shoot both, that way if I really need the RAW file, it's there. It's just too bad the 5D won't allow for Extra Fine JPEGs + RAW like my other camera do.
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:53 PM   #4

ok but in a 11x14 print, is there any noticible visual difference between extra fine and fine
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:54 PM   #5

ok but in a 11x14 print, is there any noticible visual difference between extra fine and fine
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:54 PM   #6

Old Dec 20, 2005, 1:15 AM   #7
TJM

It largely depends on how much detail is in you picture to begin with. A snow scene may not contain much detail whereas a leafy forest scene might have lots of detail. If a quality print is important, why not just shoot at the higest camera quality available?
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote