Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 23, 2005, 12:15 PM   #1

I have an old Maxxum 2xi SLR with two lenses. 1 - a Minolta AF 35-70mm ; and, 2 - Quantary MX AF 75-300mm. These are old but were for a manual/automatic focus SLR. My question is, does anyone know if they would work with the Maxxum 5D or 7D?
garc19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2005, 1:24 PM   #2
Administrator

You shouldn't have any problem with the Minolta 35-70mm. Is it the 35-70mm f/4 Macro? If so, I've seen praise about it from more than one KM DSLR owner.

I don't know about the Quantaray. Some older lenses could have a problem with compatibilty. That's because some manufacturers didn't license the lens mount technology from Minolta. Instead, they reverse engineered it.

So, sometimes they miss features that were implemented in the communications protocol. You see this from time to time with some older Sigma lenses. In many cases, Sigma is aware of an issue, and can "rechip" the lens in question to work with newer models. But, I haven't heard from anyone using a Quantaray lens on a KM DSLR before.

Theortically, any lens designed for Minolta AF cameras should work just fine. But, if the lens design was flawed (because the manufacturer missed something needed in the protocol that Minolta implemented later on in newer bodies), then you can run into a compatibility issue.

Chances are, it will work fine. But, if you want to know for sure before buying a camera, see if you can find a store that would let you try your lens on a 5D.

BTW, one thing you'll need to be aware of is that your lenses will appear to be longer on a DSLR. Because the sensor used is smaller than 35mm film, you need to multiply the focal length of the lens by 1.5x to see how the angle of view compares. IOW, a 50mm lens would behave like a 75mm lens (50 x 1.5 = 75).

That's great if you need more optical zoom. But, it can be a problem on the wide end. For example, your 35-70mm would be like using a 53-105mm lens when used on a DSLR. That's why so many of the kit lenses for entry DSLR models start out at around 17 or 18mm now.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 1:29 PM   #3

Jim:

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I will try to see if i can test them at a local store. Happy Holidays. Cheers.

Craig
Old Dec 23, 2005, 3:42 PM   #4

both lenses will work a-ok

the 35-70 f4 macro IS A KEEPER - IT IS RAZOR SHARP due to the crop/sweet spot

(it becomes a 52-105mm f4 macro)
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 6:02 PM   #5

Just a heads up. On the kind words from you I went to a circuit city this evening and tried my lenses on the 7D and they worked fine. I will be purchasing teh 5D but the 7D was easier to access there. Thank you all very much for your input.

Craig
Old Dec 24, 2005, 11:04 AM   #6

garc19, You may want to checkout circuit city online if you want one after there sale price and a 10% online discount plus the $50 Monolta kit rebate you * Free shipping* I jusy got the 5D kit for just under $600.. Good luck! George
George W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 8:17 PM   #7

Here is a link with all Minolta AF lenses that works on 5D/7D.
http://www.mhohner.de/minolta/lenses.php
red71 is offline   Reply With Quote