Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 24, 2005, 7:08 AM   #1

Hi, I have just got a 7D and a 18-200 Minolta DT lens which is great, my query is when I turn the camera on the focusing goes from infinity down to the closest distance and then stops, when the camera is turned off it goes back to infinity, I know from previous Minolta 35mm bodies the focusing always goes to infinity when you turn it off and on, also the 7D manual says it will go to infinity when turned on. The camera and lens work perfectly it is just that initial lag when you switch the camera on waiting for it to go from infinity to the closest setting. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? and if it can be disabled? thanks
seven-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2005, 11:04 AM   #2

It is perfectly normal and can only be disabled by selecting manual focus before you turn off the camera. However, when you reselect AF it will 'zoom' to infinity and then back in. This behavior is built in by default to ensure proper coupling of the focus drive mechanism with the electronics. Imagine (poor example) the first cycle of a powered up garage door opener.

MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 11:26 AM   #3

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
It is perfectly normal and can only be disabled by selecting manual focus before you turn off the camera. However, when you reselect AF it will 'zoom' to infinity and then back in. This behavior is built in by default to ensure proper coupling of the focus drive mechanism with the electronics. Imagine (poor example) the first cycle of a powered up garage door opener.

MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Hi, Many thanks for reply, it was just that on every Minolta film camera I have owned when you switch it on it just focuses slightly away from infinity then back to infinity which only takes a split second but on the 7D it moves from infinity right the way down the scale to the 45cm mark and then stops.

Happy Christmas
Old Jan 24, 2006, 4:44 AM   #4

I emailed K-M about this and they told me thereason is because the direction of focus on the 18-200mm DT lens goes the opposite way to all their otherlenses so it is just something I will have to put up with, not a great problem just wanted to make sure it wasn't a fault
Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:03 AM   #5

I have SIGMA 18-200 DC and it is the same startup situation here ... Absolutely normal!
artmika is offline   Reply With Quote