Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:50 PM   #1

is there a difference between a photo CD and a nonmal CD to store your pics on :?
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2005, 9:29 PM   #2

i would love a reply
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:27 PM   #3

A Photo CD will normally have a program on it to view pictures. I don't believe you can actually buy photo CDs, when you get your pictures back on a CD that'll usually be a photo CD.
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:49 AM   #4

i would like to back up my photos on cd, and need to know if there is a difference in different makes cd's that would affect quality or storage time
Old Dec 31, 2005, 9:58 AM   #5

What a way to start my first post on the forum...

Let me explain a little about CDs. Essentially, all CDs are the same regardless of wether they are PhotoCD, AudioCD, DataCD, VideoCD, DivX-CD, MPEG-CD, Picture-CD etc. etc.

All CDs have a reflective part, and in the case of writable CDs a dye that is "burnt" by a laser rather than pressed pits in the surface. The information is read from the middle, working out to the edge, and the basic speed the data is read is the same standard.

In fact, think of the CD as being like a piece of paper. It doesn't really matter what brand of paper it is, and some paper comes with stuff already printed on it (like books)... but it's all paper.

What's written on the paper might be understandable to you, or it might not. No doubt you can understand it and follow instructions printed on it if they were in English, but what if they were in Iranian, Chinese or even Ancient Egyptian?

The point here is that what does differ is the information actually written on the CD. You could have information that represents sound, written in a particular language that your HiFi CD player can understand. You can also have information written in a particular language that represents photographs, that a PhotoCD player can understand. You could just have all sorts of things written on the CD in computer language - of course computers are very clever and can often be taught (wth software) to read different languages - hence they can often play AudioCD and view PhotoCD too.

So, in answer to your question, there is no difference between a PhotoCD and normal blank CD-R other than the information which has been placed onto it. If you're going to make a PhotoCD on your computer, you'll also need software that writes it in the right "language" for a PhotoCD player.

There are, however, differences in brands and CDs themselves, just as there are different colours, thicknesses and qualities of paper.

It's hard to read black print on dark blue paper isn't it... harder than black on white or a pale colour... and with CDs the colour of the dye can make a difference. The best dye is blue because when you burn the CD there is a very clear difference in the part of the disc that has been burnt, but it also takes more time to burn, so you can't write the disc at 52x and expect it to work! Pale green dye is good for high speed burning, but also prone to misreading and is often found on cheap CD-R.

Also, the build quality of the CD-R is different. Cheap CD-R often damage easily, whereas the better brands like Verbatum, TDK and RiDisc/RiData are a bit tougher.

Personally I'd go to somewhere like www.bigpockets.co.uk (there are other places, that's just where I get mine and the service and prices are pretty good) and buy some RiDisc, TDK or Verbatum CD-R. I'd also burn at maybe 16x or 24x rather than the highest you can, as this will ensure a better written more compatible disc.

Hope this helps!
MagicMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:00 AM   #6

It is certainly true that CD and DVD storage media have a finite life - a lot depends upon how you store them - put a CD in bright sunlight in a hot room and you will seriously compromise it's ability to retain anything!

Take a look here: http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...Dlongevity.php

Although it is an audio site, it really doesn't matter - a file is a file is a file .... it's how the data is interpreted that defines what it s (picture, audio, word document etc.)

Hope this helps
BartonFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:15 PM   #7

ARCHIVAL CDs

http://mam-a.com/products/gold/archive.html
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 11:25 PM   #8

thanks guys your responce did clear up a lot of questions,