Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 1, 2006, 7:14 PM   #1

I'm still looking at DSLR cameras, wishing I could decide!

What's it like to carry the 7D or 5D around? When you start adding up the other bits you need to carry around in the bag, it all starts to add up! Do you find that as great as the camera may be, you wish it were lighter, or isn't it too bad?

Has anyone tried long exposures (star trails, city lights, motorway head and tail light trails etc.) - how well does the camera perform?

How common are the focussing problems I keep hearing about - I'm going to be forced to order online or by phone, so should I be asking the retailer to get the focus calibrated when I order?

What would be the best lens (without going too mad) for wildlife - ie deer in a field, birds at a nature reserve - I'm thinking maybe Sigma 100-400 APO?

What is the best lens (again without going mad) for a general purpose lens? I was looking at 17-70 ish, probably a Sigma again.

Has anyone played with that Time Lapse feature - how well does it work?
MagicMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:37 PM   #2

I usually carry about 3 lenses with me when I bring the camera, and the weight usually is not an issue. And I use mostly older metal lens(70-210 f4 and 28-135 f4-4.5, both weighs the same as the 5D body...)

Long Exposure:

My 5D has no focusing problem, at least I did not notice any.

And common budget telephoto Zoom is a Minolta AF 100-300 APO for around $300, good quality, and light weight as well. And for longer reach you can get a Minolta AF500 F8 Reflex mirror for about $600 new, though being a mirror it has its limitation, but again its very lightweight and compact compare to a normal 500mm lens...

RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:26 PM   #3

That's pretty impressive! Would I be right in thinking those were cleaned up (noise reduction) afterwards though rather than in camera? Seems a very clean image!

I thnk I'm going to sling some tins of soup in the camera bag and see what it's like to carry around that way. Sounds silly, but it'll give me an idea at least.

I'd never considered a 500mm mirror lens - what do you mean by limitations - will it have a less sharp area in the middle or something?

Old Jan 4, 2006, 1:01 AM   #4

MagicMatt wrote:
Quote:
I'd never considered a 500mm mirror lens - what do you mean by limitations - will it have a less sharp area in the middle or something?
With a mirror lens, AF won't work and you'll need to manual focus. So for action shots, this may not be your best bet. Otherwise if you can manual focus and get the shot, these lenses can do quite well.
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 1:53 AM   #5
Administrator

Rambler358 wrote:
Quote:
MagicMatt wrote:
Quote:
With a mirror lens, AF won't work and you'll need to manual focus. So for action shots, this may not be your best bet. Otherwise if you can manual focus and get the shot, these lenses can do quite well.
Actually, the Minolta 500mm f/8 AF mirror lens will autofocus on a a newer KM body. It's the only mirror lens that can Autofocus (AFAIK). ;-) Someone else may have come out with one by now, but Minolta still claims it's the "world's first autofocus reflex telephoto lens"

As for limitations, the AF may not be that fast in less than optimum lighting (f/8 isn't very bright). So, you could need to use manual focus with it, depending on the lighting.

Also, depending on conditions, the out of focus areas can look like doughnuts with a mirror lens (and that can be unattractive in some photos).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:15 PM   #6

No real post doctoring on those pic, I only converted them from RAW to Jpg and resized it for online use.....I can't view the exif info now but I think they were ISO 100 at 10-15 sec exposure....

I also have 500 Reflex AF but I have yet to use it seriously to comment on it. But by limitation I meant that since your aparture is fixed you are left with only shutter speed and ISO to set your exposure, which may or maynot be ideal in some situation...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:51 PM   #7

minolta AF reflex 500mm f8 (KM 7D continuous mode autofocus)

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 5:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:06 PM   #8

Very nice pic - I see what is meant by background bokeh now... not the nicest effect but how the heck you captured that I don't know.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 2:02 PM   #9

I don't know about you, but that looks pretty good to me!!
spaceweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 4:08 PM   #10

the bird was banking to it's right as i was panning it and i got a real nice smooth shutter release (a miracle at my 57 years of age)

the trick to white birds is EV -1.0

thanx for the compliments
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote