Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:20 AM   #1

Just bought a 5D to replace my 7000 - need some advice on the compact flash. I am not a professional, and amateur is a stretch...

Would I really see a huge benefit going with a scandisk extreme CF card? I would like nothing smaller than a 1Gb and could get a Crucial Compact Flash around $50. Just looking for a good price on mid-performance memory...

thx

2wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:52 AM   #2

Sandisk Ultra II is perfect and Extreme is not worth of his price.
You can check some results of CF cards here.
http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/cfcard/index.asp
red71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 3:03 PM   #3

2wired wrote:
Quote:
Would I really see a huge benefit going with a scandisk extreme CF card?
The benefits you get from a faster card are:
- It's quicker for the camera to write picture data, so...
.... the time you have to wait between shots is shorter.
.... the camera can take more shots in a "burst" on continuous shooting
- Faster cards are a bit more economical, because it requires less time to store data on the card, so will require less from the battery.
- When you come to copy the pictures off the camera onto your computer, whether you use a reader or just link to the camera, it will be quicker.

I have a fast SD card in my current camera, and to me the benefits are small, but I think worthwhile. I like the fact that it takes a few minutes less to transfer 256Mb to my computer, and being able to shoot a couple of extra shots in a row on a DigiCam has been quite useful to me.

I wouldn't bother with anything faster than Sandisk Ultra II because you pay significantly more for a marginal increase in performance. I'd also look at online computer retailers rather than camera shops for your memory cards - I've seen memory card selling for almost 3x the cost in camera shops compared to online computer stores.

MagicMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 3:11 PM   #4

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2654

This article may be of some help. I just ordered the Transcend 80X card for $58 + $5 shipping from Newegg.com for my new 5D based off their recommendation. It compares very well to the top stuff from Lexar and Sandisk for quite a bit less. They make a 2GB version as well for $125 which seems like a good deal.

gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:20 PM   #5
Super Moderator

the ultra II will have no problems keeping up with your camera, so no need really getting the extreme III if you are going with sandisk..

as someone mentioned, there a few lower cost options as well.. kingston and transcend both make 1gb cards with fast write times for around $60 on newegg. i have never used the kingston, but hear good things about it. i have the transcend 80x 1gb as a backup to my lexar 80xpro 2gb card and really can't tell any difference between the two in speed.. so i would definately get another transcend without hesistation, esp at about 1/2 the price for the same 12mb/sec speed..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 7:15 PM   #6

Hards-

Thanks for the informative post. I also like your new avatar.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:49 PM   #7

Great feedback - thanks everyone. The links were great too...I've trusted anandtech for years.

It's between the Scandisk and Transcend...Not familiar with Transcend, but the tests and prices are solid.

Thanks again!
2wired is offline   Reply With Quote