Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:18 PM   #11

You are right Jim, with 5D released many people joined the dSLR team (people like myself new to dSLR) most of the people would buy the lenses at bargain prices only, or even on ebay - older lenses not designed for dslr models.

Anyways thank you all for giving me online adresses of shops selling lenses at "normal" prices. I didnt have enough time to check them all but I went to the first oen and already found 50mm 1.7 prime at 80-85 euro including shipping, compared to 250-280 here inDublin...

Well over the weekend it will be the time to go shopping ;-)
tom.krysiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:48 PM   #12
Administrator

I've purchased used gear from all 3 of the vendors that Bernabeu mentioned (http://www.bhphotovideo.com , http://www.keh.com , http://www.adorama.com)

They are all reputable vendors.

If I had to rate 'em in the used gear department, I'd say KEH is tops overall (taking into consideration their prices, ease of ordering, warranty policy, equipment ratings).

They have some nice deals with very conservative ratings on their used gear (more conservative than anyone else I've found).

B&H has prices that lean towards being a little bit higher compared to KEH for used gear of equivalent quality (although I did get a 135mm f/2.8 from them at a bargain price not too long ago). Shop 'em for sure. They're a very good vendor.

Adorama is also fine, but I'd shop with B&H or KEH first if they've got the same gear.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 4:17 PM   #13

Well to be honest here is my first impression - all of them have amazing prices(such marginal differences between them do not matter to me) But I would say that BH has best choice of new gear, adorama has most used stuff, and keh came in third with moderate choice - although it is a merchant still worth checking for nice deals.

Well thanks to you guys - I am going shopping tommorow nite ;-)

Lets hope that UPS will take care of my lenses on their way to Europe.
tom.krysiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 4:53 PM   #14
Administrator

KEH's shelves are getting a bit bare right now for Minolta glass. They had a much larger stock of used Minolta lenses *before* the 5D started shipping. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:03 PM   #15

don't worry - all three vendors vendors will ship/pack the lenses in 'bulletproof' boxes

[when i got my used 80-200 f2.8 APO ($750) the box was DESTROYED but the contents were A-OK]
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote