Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:30 PM   #1

Greetings everyone

I have a question that might be considered silly for soem people but I am new to slr photography and wouldnt like to base my experience on big holes in my nowledge ;-)

What would be the reason for people to get prime lenses? I mean they have no zoom, is it just for low f stops/shooting in very low light conditions?

Would apreciate any kind of answers...
tom.krysiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:49 PM   #2
Administrator

Primes are usually sharper compared to zooms (it's less complex to build a fixed focal length lens versus one with more optical elements moving around to allow for a range of focal lengths).

Zoom lenses tend to have more distortion (barrel and pincushion) compared to primes.

A prime is usually smaller and lighter than a zoom that includes the same focal length with equivalent brightness.

And, yes, you can find brighter primes compared to zoom lenses in some focal lengths, and one use is for low light condtions (faster shutter speeds, better Autofocus).

The brightest zoom lenses usually start out at f/2.8 Brighter primes may start out at f/2.0 (twice as bright as f/2.8 ) or even f/1.4 (4 times as bright as f/2.8 ), depending on the focal length you're looking for.

A brighter lens (larger available aperture, represented by a smaller f/stop number) will also give you the ability to use a shallower depth of field (so that you can isolate your subjects from distracting backgrounds).

A brighter lens also helps your camera "see" better in less than optimum lighting for Autofocus purposes.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:53 PM   #3

thank you for making everything clear. Also sorry I didnt put it on newbie forum but thats the one I am constantly watvhing as an owner of KM 5D.

One last thing, would you happen to know if there are any affordable primes on the market that would be worth investing in for landscape/architecture photography.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:06 PM   #4
Administrator

Heck, they're all good (it's hard to find a "bad" Minolta prime, especially if stopped down a bit from wide open apertures). ;-)

Even the cheapest 50mm f/1.7 (around 50 bucks used, or under $100 new) is a very sharp lens.

I've got the 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2 and 135mm f/2.8. They're all good lenses. I'd probably consider the 100mm f/2 to be my sharpest lens.

I don't have any wider primes than these, as you might want for architecture and landscapes (but, perhaps others will comment). I've got a couple of wide zooms (Tamron 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5 and the KM 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens). But, nothing at all any wider than those.

Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:27 AM   #5

I would say it depends what you want to do with your KM.
Basically, you have wide zooms (like 17-35mm), standard zooms (28-75mm) and tele zooms (70-300mm).
Each category covers different uses.

Personnaly, I do almost indoor photos, so I got Minolta kit zoom (Minolta 18-70mm). I added a tele buyed on ebay.de (Sigma 70-300mm apo super II).
I also got 28mm f/2,8 and 50mm f/1,7 since they are very useful and can accept lowlight situations (especially 50mm).
red71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:32 AM   #6

Jim would you mind giving me a few web adresses of places that sell lenses at reasonable prices? I currently live in Ireland and besides ebay I dont know any other ones, and store prices well - I the cheapest price I was quoted on 50mm 1.7 prime was 250 euro...
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:24 AM   #7

www.bhphotovideo.com

www.keh.com

www.adorama.com

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:05 AM   #8

For 50 F1.7 you may be better off getting it on eBay as they are very cheap and probably still in good condition even used. the big difference in earlier model compare to the new RS model is the MF ring has wider grip to it.

RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:53 AM   #9

50mm f/1,7 on ebay.de usually at 60€-65€.
red71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:02 AM   #10
Administrator

red71 wrote:
Quote:
50mm f/1,7 on ebay.de usually at 60€-65€.
Unfortunately, lens prices are rising (thanks to the 5D).

I bought a package including a Maxxum 7000, a 50mm f/1.7, and a Minolta 1800AF flash for a "buy it now" price of only $49 (USD) *before* the 5D was shipping. LOL

At the time, there were LOTS of these lenses on vendor web sites for under $50 (often no more than $30).

Now, vendors seldom seem to have them in stock in their used gear departments (probably because Konica Minolta has an initial production of 50,000 cameras per month with the 5D, and a lot of new 5D owners are buying up the bargains).