Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:01 AM   #1

Hy ... I want to change my camera (have a compact digital sony) and i'm thinking of KM Maxxun 5D and i don't know if it's right to me because i don't know much about aperture , shutter priority and the others....i am thinking first to buy a SLR like digital but now i'm thinking to a DSLR and i don't know if i would be ableto take good pictures .... what do think until i will lernsomething about photo tech. do you thinkI can take pictures with5D in 'auto mode'or it will be beter to buy first a SLR like like Fuji s9000 or another camera ...give me an ideea !
comisarul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:42 AM   #2

If money is not an issue I think 5D will do fine. Minolta afterall made it as a entry level SLR and they added the convenience of the scene program to make sure anyone can use it and then the user can discover more of the technique in photography and use some of the more advance function in the future.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:22 PM   #3

about money : 5d with 18-70 mm is like fuji s9000 so the money is not the problem ...problem is if I want to buy new lenses to the 5d
Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:35 PM   #4

You'll spend more money on accesories if you buy the 5d (lenses and so on), but not as much as buying a whole extra camera first.

I took the upgrade path, I have an A1 (slr-like fixed lens) which has been a great learning tool. Now I really want to upgrade to the 5d. They both have fully manual and fully automatic modes, showing you the settings in auto mode so that you can change to manual and duplicate them and expiriment from there. The advantage to the consumer camera is that you see a live preview that gets darker and lighter as you toy with settings. The advantage to the slr is that you get a clearer view through the viewfinder.

If you go the upgrade route, you might want to buy used so you can sell and get much more of your money back when you upgrade.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:39 PM   #5

really, if you are comparing the S9000 to the 5D, I would have to go with the 5D. It is just a much more capable platform. You can keep it on auto all day long, or experiment. It will grow with you as you can add more lenses. If you dont want to, then keep the kit lens and your fine.

I personally went with a 18 - 200mm lens and the KM 5D body along with a 50mm 1.7 as the first lens' for this camera. The 50 1.7 is a great lens, only about 75 bucks and lets you take photos in rally low light without flash that you will never get with a non DSLR, even the S9000
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 5:26 AM   #6

ok i've got the idee i think i will go with a dslr ..many friends have recomended me KM 5D because of it's antishake sistem ...I like 5D but wtaht about Rebel XT and NIkon d50 what do you think about this comparation...thanx
Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:52 PM   #7

All the others need very expensive lens that contain the antishake mechanism. The KM 5D DSLR has it built into the body, so EVERY, lens has antishake.
spaceweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 4:16 PM   #8

understud thanx! I will think about I will come to a decision ...
Old Jan 11, 2006, 4:45 PM   #9

Again, everything has its positive and negative. The minolta has the antishake, the XT has more Megapixels and is faster shot to shot. More expensive though. Not 2 familiar with the D50.

you will be very happy with the 5D
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:46 AM   #10

Take a look at the Pentax istDL- it's super easy to use and has many "scene modes" like "Child Portrait", "macro" etc....it also has full manual controls should you want to shoot manually....it's also inexpensive- the least of the digital SLR's and has a large viewfinder (bigger than most of the DSLR's in it's class and has a large 2.5" LCD screen- larger than it's competitors as well.) It is also compatible with tons of Pentax K mount lenses which are superb for their price points.
stevenyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote