Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 14, 2006, 9:34 AM   #11

focus/sharpness is very soft on all shots

try setting camera sharpness to +1

if shots are still soft, take a focus test shot of a yardstick with center AF spot
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 1:40 PM   #12

I agree. They do look soft and you say you used USM in PS?
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 1:44 PM   #13
Super Moderator

I did add some USM. However the camera is having the flange distance checked as well why it is away as having problems with Sigma 70-200 2.8 and Minolta 50 1.7. That might help (might not). Does anyone else have a 5D with kit lens who can publish some 100% crops?

Thanks,

Mark.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 2:20 PM   #14

Thanks for posting some sample shots, Mark. For the past couple of weeks I've been reading reviews on entry level dSLRs, downloading pictures, trying a few in stores, etc. I liked the way the 5D handled and the image quality looked good. AS plus all the available lenses gave it the edge for me. Good price too, with the rebate. I just ordered it.
B1ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 2:23 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Ideal....... well as you can see a couple of people think my shots area little soft so hope to get to the bottom of that. Always a problem to know what is right when you don't have anything to compare it to. Looking forward to seeing some other shots.

I'm sure you will enjoy the camera. I certainly am!!!
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:38 AM   #16

I've just ordered a 5D too, much in response to seeing "real" users sample pics like these. Thanks for posting.

I find it remarkable that image quality is so good at 100% crop. Most digital images dont really look finished until they have been sampled down to lower resolutions to smooth out the trash that the camera put out. 6mp vs 6mp, the 5d puts out a great image with more usable detail than others, in my opinion. Of course I'm most familiar with the P&S market.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 3:59 AM   #17

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Just after some sympathy really..... lol. My 5D is at KM being repaired. I have worn out the shutter release in the 3 months that I have had the camera (probably has something to do with metaking over 10,000 photos in that time).

One good thing though is that it has given me the time to start putting a web site together.

Have a look at http://www.photographysmith.co.ukif you are interested to see what I have knocked up.

Happy shooting,

Mark.
hmmm shutter release worn out after 10,000 shots, that seem too short isn't it? Ok, myself I don't take so much photos, but average 1 month taken around 1500, that's mean if I hv KM5D, I can only use for 6 or 7 months
Actually plan to buy KM5D maybe next month :G
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 8:08 AM   #18
Super Moderator

I don't think that this is a common problem.... not heard anyone else with it. I probablytook well over 100,000 with my Minolta Dimage 7 and it did not miss a beat.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:26 PM   #19

Kit lens Full

ens 100% crop

nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:12 PM   #20

Mark, maybe you can inquire at the repair shop what Minolta considers normal shutter life for the 5D? What would have this repair cost not under waranty?Thanks Mark- enjoy the camera!
stevenyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote