Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:40 AM   #1

What do these ISO settings accomplish? I know that low80 is supposed to be used to resolve better shadow detail, and hi200 for better highlights, but how does it work? Why would you use it?

It also seems backwards, like youd want iso80 for highlights and iso200 for shadows....
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:43 AM   #2

check out http://www.dynax5d.com/5d_en/brochure.htmland download the guidebook then check page 13.
nimo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:59 AM   #3

Thanks, but its just more typical marketing blabber. I still dont understand what the camera does differently, I'm guessing that a type of curves adjustment is made?

Im more interested in the technicalities than its real application.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:43 PM   #4
Administrator

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, but its just more typical marketing blabber. I still dont understand what the camera does differently, I'm guessing that a type of curves adjustment is made?
That's my best guess (it's just using a type of curves adjustment for the processing).

Why the different ISO speeds? I don't have a clue, other than the sensor probably does better for shadows at one speed, and highlights for another, and they've optimized these features for the sensor characteritics.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote