Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 19, 2006, 5:15 PM   #21

I feel this is a good thing for Minolta owners. While Sony has had plenty of ups and downs with their cameras, they have had many good innovations (floppy disk, CDR media, RI camera) and I think their first DSLR will bea great camera. It will have to be because Sony wants a big piece of this profitable arena and to get that an "average" camera won't cut it. I'm thinking a 10.2 MP with Anti-Shake for $1300-1400 sometime by summer?
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 5:17 PM   #22
Administrator

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
Just go my 5d delivered yesterday
Congratulations Bill!

I'm glad to see a forum member with your experience and knowledge shooting with a 5D.

My two cents worth... to get the most out of the camera, shoot in raw. Adobe Camera Raw has the best algorithms for highlight retention/recovery (IMO opinion anyway). But, some of the third party tools aren't too bad.

If you're running Windows, try the free Raw Shooters Essentials, too. Just use your favorite hex editor and search for Maxxum or Dynax 7D in the .exe and replace the 7D with 5D and it will work.

If you're using the GIMP, the UFRAW plugin (based on David Coffin's dcraw.c ) also works.

Eric Hyman's Bibble Lite and Bibble Pro products are also worth looking into (available for Mac, Windows and Linux).

For a free product that lets you browse raw images without converting them first, , check out The FastStone Image Browser

(and BTW, I've also got it running under Wine with Linux).

Google's Picasa will also let you browse through 5D raw files.

If you want a copy of dcraw.c (command line program) compiled for Windows, let me know via PM and I'll compile the latest version for you (ditto for anyone else that wants a copy).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 6:52 PM   #23

Jim, Thanks for the links. I just downloaded Raw Shooters Essentials. I have a K/M 5D. I'm not sure about the Hex editor part. How is that done ? Also is Notepad a hex editor? Can I use it for this? Thanks for you help! George
George W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 7:13 PM   #24

Check this link for RSE edit

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15538057
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:10 PM   #25

JimC,

Irarely see any mention of the bundled Dimage software. Is it worth my time even unwrapping it or should I go one of the other RAWroutes you mention?

I have some experience with Paint Shop Pro (up to8 I think). I've been seriously considering CS2 so I can "run with the big dogs" LOL
guy48065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:18 PM   #26

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
KM 5D/7D owners probably do not need to worry. This line of cameras will certainly be continued.
True, however it's unlikely we'll be seeing any 5D/7D firmware updates now. And that's the only real downside for me right now.
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:23 PM   #27

guy48065 wrote:
Quote:
Irarely see any mention of the bundled Dimage software. Is it worth my time even unwrapping it or should I go one of the other RAWroutes you mention?

I have some experience with Paint Shop Pro (up to8 I think). I've been seriously considering CS2 so I can "run with the big dogs" LOL
IMHO, I'd skip loading the DiMAGE software, and go with something else if you can. Photoshop Elements or CS2 is great if you can learn the software. And I'll 2nd the FastStone Image Viewer:
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

A free solution that lets you view, edit and convert RAW files.
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 9:41 PM   #28
Administrator

guy48065 wrote:
Quote:
JimC,

I couldn't tell you. I've never installed the software (the CD is still sitting in the box).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 7:52 AM   #29

I did install DiMAGE Master Lite and would not recomend it unless you want an example of really slow software. Reminds me of running PhotoShop on a 486-66: put up with the painwhen thereis nothing better, but in this case there are better software choices.

I did buy Dalibor JelĂ*nek's MRWFormat Plug-in (US$20) whichseems to be very good. Just tried http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htmwhich seems to be a very good viewer.

Got a cheap (US$75)second-hand Sigma 100-300 4.5-6.7 with the 5d expecting it to only be usable in bright light. Surprised me by being able to focus in light I can barely see in (bitbrighter than candle light, but not by much). Way dimmer than a usable hand-held shot can be done even at ISO 3200 - unless you can hand hold for 3 seconds.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 8:33 AM   #30

This might actually be the best news under the circumstances, with Sony trying to get a foothold in the DSLR market we may see more r&d then there has been in a long time. Minolta built the most inovative DSLRs with the 5D and 7D, add that to the newest CMOS technology sensors from Sony, like the 10MP R1 sensor, stir in your old Maxxum lenses and stamp SONY on the prism.This may even be a threat to Nikon and (dare I say it) Canon for a large chunk of the DSLR market.

Personally I think the Konica-Minolta moniker was a big mistake, for a long time Konica was best known in North America for cheap film, not quality cameras (Hexar was never a big name) while Minolta was a well respected brand with a very high degree of loyal users. Chucking this for the SONY badge may be a plus, Sony has no reputation in high end still photography but they are a top brand in video and other electronics (think TV and Playstation for your new market).

I now have a Pentax DSLR but my very high quality Maxxum lenses will still be around in a couple of years when it will be time to play tech catch up again.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote