Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:44 PM   #31

but what about our firmware up dates
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 12:27 AM   #32

It's not in Sony's interest to do firmware updates. What you have is what you get.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 12:17 PM   #33

It is in Sony's interest to maintain good customer relationships so they just *might* issue firmware upgrades.In particular if they are almost ready to go right now. Same with Konica since it looks like they will still be making lenses for Sony's dSLR cameras.

Wouldn't make a bet either way.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 1:14 PM   #34

I find it kind of strange that so many are worried about firmware. The rule I've always heard and used (and repeated to my customers to little avail ) is that you don't ever upgrade your firmware unless you absolutely need to. There are so many ways that a firmware upgrade can make your expensive electronic device a really cool paperweight that unless there is a major breakthrough or flaw, you should avoid flashing the firmware. It is true that firmware flashes have improved in the last 2 years or so, but not to the point that I'd be upgrading everytime there's a new .1.xxx available. Call me old fashioned, but I have sent scores of motherboards to the graveyard after someone tried to flash a bios to get 5 mhz more.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:50 PM   #35

You won't see a firmware upgrade.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 2:26 PM   #36

No sweat - I don't need a firmware upgrade ! The 5D works fine as it is
BartonFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 2:43 PM   #37

I agree! If it's not broke don't fix it. If something shows up as a defect in the firmware we will be covered. K/M for now is still the ones building and servicing themand will be doing so UNDER Sony. The same place and mostly the same people will be helping us with our cameras. Not to worry! Konica,Minolta and Sony all know what would happen to us if they didn't. They really want everyone of us to stay. I think right now it's us Minlota users that will control Sony and make it fly or crash as far as DSLR's. Believe me it's in ther best interests to make and keep up all happy. George
George W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 6:15 PM   #38

Update. The KM service in NJ is closing 3/31. Phil and staff have been given a severance package and Sony will service in Texas or Conn. The experience and help from Phil and staff will be sorely missed. Sony will be more concerned with upcoming products than the last two by KM. If you have a service issue now is the time to take care of it.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:26 PM   #39

Hope that Sony will do this thing right.
I would like to see a real competitor for the Pana FZ30 from Sony.
I love Sony and think that their products are top notch... for the best part. I currently own an FZ30 and there are some flaws to it. If Sony would come up with a real competitor, I'd switch sides without a moment's hesitation.

Still, it's too bad that a big name like K-M had to shut down the operation. If I had known this sooner, I would have taken advantage of the fall in prices and get a 5D instead of the Pana.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 7:47 AM   #40

i say we sue KM
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote