Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:46 PM   #1

What is the speed of the 5d's USB connection? The manual is silent on that issue, and since I only have USB1 soI can't tell.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2006, 1:53 AM   #2

It is the USB 2.0 full speed, which is another name for the ssslllllooowwww USB standard. I ended up buying a card reader because of the time it took to transfer pics off my 5D. If you're computer has USB 1.0I guess a card reader wouldn't help much though:sad:
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 7:33 PM   #3

A PCI interface USB 2.0 card can be had for less than $12 US (delivered) from Newegg.com - provided you have an empty PCI slot on your motherboard. It would speed up your upload times significantly. Link to product below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815153001

Edit: I'm not selling for newegg, just giving an example of cost.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:09 PM   #4

Would a USB2 card be likely to increase the speed of download directly from the 5d?
Old Jan 23, 2006, 8:17 AM   #5
Administrator

Bill:

I have not done any scientific measurements. But, my newest PC (which has USB 2.0) does seem faster than an older PC that only had USB 1.1, using the same USB 1.1 compatible card readers.

I don' t know if that's because everything else about the new PC is faster (CPU, Bus, RAM, Hard Drives), or if it's just the speed of the USB 2.0 interface (as it works with USB 1.1 devices).

My guess is that you prefer not to use a card reader to reduce wear and tear on the camera's card door/slot?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 8:43 AM   #6

I think the USB 2.0 card would increase the upload speed by quite a bit. On Jim's point that his CPU and HDD are faster, that point is only valid if his old PC was very slow. USB even at full speed shouldn't tax any modern CPU (any CPU speedover say 500mhz) although a lagging or almost full HDD could certainly affect upload speeds. For Video conversion (RAW to JPEG for instance ) in large batches would take much more CPU power than just the upload of any file type via USB 2.0. (by comparison, USB 1.0 provides 1.5 mbps, USB 1.1 could provide 12mbps throughput, while USB 2.0 provides 480mbps) There is a lot of room for improvement, even if the 5d can only upload at 100mbps. I agree with Jim on the card reader, unless you find the camera's upload speed to be way too slow. The card reader will not help you unless you also upgrade your USB port speed on your PC as I am sure the camera can provide over the 12mbps of USB 1.1.

Old Jan 23, 2006, 8:53 AM   #7
Administrator

Bill:

Dave Etchells clocked it at 815 KBytes/second.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KM5D/KM5DA10.HTM

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:15 AM   #8

I've still been unable to determine which USB spec my computer is, but I believe it to be 2.0. Transfer direct from my 5D is considerably slower than using a sandisk card reader. It took more than 7 min. vs. 1-2 min, for I think 400-600mb transfer. That comes to roughly 900 KB/s vs 3.3 MB/s.... sounds about right I think.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 7:03 PM   #9

Wow, 800kbps is slow. I guess I'll change my stance on the card reader, it should be well worth the ~$30.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I also forgot to mention that there is some difference in the quality of the media in upload speeds.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:07 PM   #10

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Bill:
...My guess is that you prefer not to use a card reader to reduce wear and tear on the camera's card door/slot?
Not the door/slot, but the memory and thepins in the camerathat connect to the CF. I have used a microdrive in my old Casio 3000 forsix years with no problems whatsoever, in good part because I almost never take it out of the camera (Take it out a couple times/year to reseat the connections). Microdrives are1/2 to1/3 the cost of solid state per Gig so have been thinking of doing the same with the 5d. Not at all sure I'd trust a microdrive if I was handling it all the time to put it in a card reader.

I am solidly convinced that most memory problems, beit solid state or microdrive, are a result of handling. Problems are not frequent, but why take a chance if I don't have to. And the Casio was about as fast as any USB1 reader so there was no good reason to do otherwise. But with the 5d's RAW+JPEGnearly ten times the size as the Casio's JPEGs, I am rethinking all that.

I don't feela need for real fast memory, but I do want a lot of memory. Many Gigs of it. Much more than I can afford.