Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 22, 2006, 8:20 PM   #1

I've been using my 5D indoors mostly since I got it last week, and I've tried the kit lens and the 70-210/4.5-5.6 but I keep putting the 50mm f1.7 back on. Bright Primes Rule!

I'm considering getting another, wider, prime. Staying in the lower price range, I think these are the contestants:

-24mm f2.8 $350
-28mm f2.8 $200
-28mm f2 $300
-35mm f2 $300

They are all very similar in focal length, max apature, and price. What are the tiebreakers? Do any of these stand out above the others?

tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:00 PM   #2

there is a GREAT difference between 24mm and 28mm

as they get wider small numerical differences become large angle of view differences

go for the 24mm (36mm equivalent)
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:55 AM   #3

What about the performance between the two? Thats a whole stop, and I keep reading great things about the 28/2 quality. I have the kit lens, so 18mm up is covered, just not so well. Particularly when its dim. I guess I should expieriment with the kit lens some more and see if the angle of view is important for how I intend to use it.

I hear nothing but disapointment about the 28/2.8, at least from people who have also used the 28/2, so thats off the list. The 35mm is off the list.

I think your right though, the 24mm would be better in general. I'd like to rely on primes rather than zooms in general, for reasons relating to laziness as much as the improved quality. Lose a stop indoors, gain field of view outside, a fair compromise.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:15 PM   #4

with the 5D/7D you can shoot at iso 800 if necessary with acceptable results

iso 400 and 200 give BETTER results than 100 !!!!!!!
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 12:20 PM   #5
Administrator

The 28mm f/2 is probably on my camera more than any other lens when I'm indoors.

Highly recommended and quite sharp. I typically use mine at f/2.5 indoors if I'm not using flash (stopped down just enough for sharper photos than you'd get wide open). You'll find some MTF tests here:

http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/minolta.shtml#Minolta

I have not used the 35mm f/2.... But, if I had to do it all over again, I may have picked it instead (I need longer more often than wider, and something in between the 28mm and 50mm primes would be "about right" more often for me).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote