Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 31, 2006, 9:53 AM   #21

Great info.* I will pass on the Sigma.*
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 10:19 AM   #22

Now you've gotten me interested in these, and I found this comparison done by a person with access to several of these range zooms at one time. The sigma did quite well. You might want to stop reading before the fecees flinging starts, though...:roll:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16929724
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:12 PM   #23

I may have already asked, but is the 50mm f/1.4 lens worth the extra money over the 50mm f/1.7 considering the results of images and the availability?* I may change my focus for looking for a 50mm f/1.4 if in the long run this will be a much better lens.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:42 PM   #24

tmoreau-

Yes, we can all post various links. However, can you please give us, in some detail,your personal evaluation of the various 70-300mm lenses that might fit either the KM 5D or the 7D.

Your personal analysis is very important to me.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:48 PM   #25

No, gobucks, I personally do not believe that the 50mm F 1.4 lens is worth the extra $$ over the Minolta F 1.7 lens.

Yes, you can indeed get sucked into spending MORE $$, but that will be your personal decision. As for me, I am quite happy indeed, with the Minolta 50mm F 1.7 lens.

Can you give me a logical and well constructedargument why the Minolta 50mm F 1.4 lens is any better than the Minolta F 1.7 lens?

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 9:34 PM   #26

On paper, I tend to agree.* Only 0.3 difference on the f stop.* Does not seem like a big difference?
Old Jan 31, 2006, 9:49 PM   #27

How important is it to have a UV filter on this or any lens to protect from dust, moisture, scratches, etc? And what is the mm rating for different filters (i.e. 52mm)?
Old Jan 31, 2006, 10:08 PM   #28

Nope! All I can offer is to help with the research, much of which I'm already doing for my own purposes.

I have the 70-210/4.5-5.6 which I bought so that I would have a zoom until I could figure out if/what better lens I need. Its small and light, being just slightly larger than the kit lens when both are in thier storage positions. Its silly cheap, but I havent had the chance to test it much yet. It seems to focus very slowly, but until I get some more milage on it thats all I can say.

I decided to make a comparison of the lenses I have, just for fun. http://home.comcast.net/~tmoreau2/compare/test1.htm I did enjoy myself though, and the results were interesting. I might make another set of pictures in a few days to add to it.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 10:13 PM   #29

The mm rating is the size of the threads on the lens, you need to buy that size filter for it to be able to screw in. You can buy a step down ring to use a larger filter on a smaller lens, so that you dont have to buy so many.

To continue with the endless linking... http://dpfwiw.com/filters.htm has a detailed article about filters that I enjoyed. Particularly fhey list some pro's and con's to using UV filters for lens protection, its a hotly debated topic.