Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:55 PM   #11

Let's face it, when SONY can get beyond the incredibly self absorbed design team (how about that memory stick-pro-duo-magic gate, zippidy do da:? ), they have the resources to make life very bad for all other camera makers. Reputatiion and past glory doesn't hold much interest for the Playstation crowd.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 11:23 AM   #12

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Let's face it, when SONY can get beyond the incredibly self absorbed design team (how about that memory stick-pro-duo-magic gate, zippidy do da:? ), they have the resources to make life very bad for all other camera makers.
Right on. Thats thier whole problem, the big IF.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 1:19 PM   #13

I agree.

Sony used to be leaders.

But I think they started cashing in on their reputation to make max $'s by turning outaverage stuff with the Sony name on it.

Now Sony doesn't stand for much of anything, in my mind, except another player in the electronics market space.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 2:01 PM   #14

Anything is better than Canon:G
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 2:35 PM   #15
Administrator

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
I agree.

Sony used to be leaders.

But I think they started cashing in on their reputation to make max $'s by turning outaverage stuff with the Sony name on it.

Now Sony doesn't stand for much of anything, in my mind, except another player in the electronics market space.
Well, I can't say that I'm thrilled about the latest turn of events, as I'm not very fond of some of the things Sony has been doing (like the root kit fiasco, or the fact that they've started using encyryption in the raw files generated by some models).

Hopefully, they've learned a few lessons.

Sony has been undergoing a lot of changes lately. For example, they appointed Howard Stringer to CEO last year (the first time a foreigner has been at the helm of a major Japanese company).

Hopefully, he'll turn the company around.

As for quality, check out the build quality of the higher end prosumer models like the DSC-F828. It's a very well made camera. The higher end Sony models tend to be that way.

I've personally owned two Sony digital cameras... a Sony DSC-F505 and a Sony PSC-P10. I won't comment on the quality of the DSC-P10. ;-)

But, chances are, we'll be seeing Konica-Minolta designed and manufactured DSLR models with a Sony badge on them initially (my best guess anyway). I don't think they'll throw away any R&D KM has already started.

Also, Sony has deep pockets. If I were a Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus...., I'd be worried about Sony's strategy for getting 20-25% of the DSLR market (Sony's stated goal).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 3:14 PM   #16

Hmm.

Sony might get 20-25 percent of the market, but at the expense of which other manufacturer?

Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 3:15 PM   #17

I agree with JimC.

Sony has made their mistakes, that is for sure. But now with new people in management, I believe we will see a different approach to things. Management is under the gun to turn things around. Certainly getting a share of the dSLR market will go along way toward turning things around. It is a market that Sony is not even in right now.

I had a Sony F-717 and it was a great camera that was put together very well. IfSonyis going to make a name for themselves in the dSLR market, Sony will have to pay close attention to quality, andI believe they will, they need that market.

I would look for a lot of PR at PMA next month and Sony dSLR's on the market by summertime.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 3:52 PM   #18

sony has always had innovation in their design and I agree, many sony cameras are 'average' (just how many cameras have sony launched in the past 1-2 years compared to other manufacturers??).

However, Sony did not have the skills and knowhow to make a good dSLR. Now they do with the purchase of KM.

Hopefully, Sony with its deep pockets can utilise the new 'tool' its just bought and use it to its full advantage.

I do really hope that Sony keep the KM badge as it is synonymous with dSLR's of Canon and Nikon. I would like to see Sony keep making P&S cameras, have 'KM' dSLRS (like panasonic and technics are the same company but in different sectors of the audio industry).

However, I do not see a Sony/Km hybrid camera for another 3-4 years at least.......if they do release a dSLR within the next 2 years, they would have the next generation of the 350d, 1d, d50 d70 to compete with.... Sony will either come out with something spectacular or something mediocre....
kjeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 3:47 PM   #19

Sony certainly has the cashflow and marketing clout to make things very hard on every other dSLR manufacturer. I don't think 20-25% of the market share is out of reach, if Sony is willing to lose a bit of money in the short term. We'll all just have to wait and see if Sony uses the Maxxum mount to its potential. I agree with Jim on the immediate future, at least on the 5d. I expect Sony to rebadge it and continue production. Not so sure about the 7d, it isn't selling as well- but perhaps.

As to Terry's comments, I've also been unimpressed with Sony's product for at least a decade. The products have seemed mostly uninspired and low to mid grade in quality but still quite high in price. Up till this point I had sworn Sony off, and now I don't know whether I should sell my Minolta stuff or buy more. (though I still bought 2 lenses last week) I guess I will take the wait and see approach- I am happy with what I have and can afford the time.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 6:26 PM   #20

Gentleman, I think this discussion is moot. I was told by the local KM service center a couple days ago that KM is getting out of the digital imaging business. They will stop manufacturing digital cameras on March 1, 2006. They are going to focus on their copier, printer, and industrial product lines.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote