Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:39 PM   #21
Administrator

Cal... I'm pretty sure that's why this thread was started (because KM is getting out of the business). They announced that on January 20th.

But, they'll still be manufacturing cameras for Sony (Sony will be introducing models that use the Minolta Maxxum/Dynax lens mount). You just won't see any more Konica Minolta branded cameras introduced.

Here is a recent news story on Sony's plans:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#sony_slr

Scroll down to near the bottom of the page and you'll see the older January 20th announcement.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 8:54 PM   #22

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Hmm.

Sony might get 20-25 percent of the market, but at the expense of which other manufacturer?

Terry

Pentax already looks like their pulling back as their new DSLR is only going to be released in Japan. Olympus is the number 3 player in the market and their expensive lenses, different format, poorer low light performance and lack of 3rd party lens supportis not going to help them. If Sony can release a new pro camera (a 9D perhaps) to round out the line, with all the existing Minolta lenses out there, they could easily slip into the number 3 spot. Right now Nikon and Canon control about 85-90% of the DSLR market, with Canon being the market leader. If Sony makes a splash, we may not be that far from an entry priced DSLR in the $400-$500 range as the big 2 fight to maintain market share.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 8:59 PM   #23

I just love Cal's post. He has his finger on pulse of digital imaging:G:G
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:26 PM   #24

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Also, Sony has deep pockets. If I were a Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus...., I'd be worried about Sony's strategy for getting 20-25% of the DSLR market (Sony's stated goal).

That is simply false. Canon has currently a market capitalisation of 54.5 billion $, while Sony is worth only 48.7 billion $. While Canon is a technology company with strong optical focus (almost comparable with the old Carl Zeiss before WW I), Sony is a beleagured consumer products company without any clear focus, which will continue to loose market share to Samsung, BenQ etc. On the other hand, in Canon's portfolio non-consumer products are dominant, which are well protected against no inovation companies like Samsung or BenQ.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 6:01 PM   #25
Administrator

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
That is simply false. Canon has currently a market capitalisation of 54.5 billion $, while Sony is worth only 48.7 billion $.
False, huh? What does it take to qualify as having deep pockets? :-)

Let's see what happpens in the coming years. Things change.

Old Feb 2, 2006, 6:24 PM   #26

Well, while Sony have lost some ground in the audio market, especially in MP3 devices, they're by no means a spent force.

Of course it's all speculation, but I think its illustrative to look at their activity in taking up the Ericsson, who were then struggling in the mobile phone market in a similar to KM in digital cameras now.

Sony Ericsson is now a very strong player in the mobile phone market, and while they haven't overtaken Nokia, they've made significant ground - in fact their growth in market share is very similar to their targets for the dslr market.

Personally I'd like to see future lines as Sony-Minolta or Sony-KM or similar, rather than just as Sony, but that's just me - and of course all this is pure speculation...
fother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 4:11 AM   #27

Yes, the Sony-Ericson joint venture is doing relatively well, but even there Samsung is clearly ahead. Their most important product, the Sony Playstation, is under siege by Microsoft which will probably win in the long run, because it has a much longer breath.
With my above message I only wanted to say that Canon is in a much better shape than Sony and that they do not have to fear Sony's competition. Having said that I believe that Sony probably can maintain or even slightly extend Konica-Minolta's market share because the KM 5D/7D is really a very good basis. I will have to revise this forcast if Sony tries to impose their brain dead memory stick also on their future DSLR customers. With this idiotic strategy they lost already a very substantial market share in the P&S market. The same applies - of course - to the XD card idiots, Fuji and Olympus.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 7:35 AM   #28
Administrator

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
Having said that I believe that Sony probably can maintain or even slightly extend Konica-Minolta's market share because the KM 5D/7D is really a very good basis. I will have to revise this forcast if Sony tries to impose their brain dead memory stick also on their future DSLR customers.

I think they'll probably go dual format (CF + MS) on future entry level models if Sony is involved in the design.

They did that with the DSC-F828 and DSC-R1. But, I don't expect to see that immediately in a DSLR introduced for shipping by this summer (as any model coming out soon was probably designed by KM alone). A model introduced that soon would most likely be in the testing stage by some users.

You never know though. My Konica KD-510z (a.k.a., Minolta G500) can use Memory Stick (it's dual format - MS and SD). Ditto for some of the previous subcompacts from KM in the same family (for example, the KD-400z, KD-410z, KD-500z and others). Also, KM and Sony announced plans for Sony branded DSLR models last yeear, before the latest announcement concerning KM getting out of the business. So, they might have been involved in the design of any models in the pipeline.

From a form factor perspective, I prefer MS to SD (darn things are too small). But, you can say the same thing about some of the other MS products (Memory Stick Duo format).

Old Feb 3, 2006, 8:02 AM   #29

JimC wrote:
Quote:
They did that with the DSC-F828 and DSC-R1. But, I don't expect to see that immediately in a DSLR introduced for shipping by this summer (as any model coming out soon was probably designed by KM alone). A model introduced that soon would most likely be in the testing stage by some users.
With the anouncement made last june/july, I've been wondering how much Sony was involved in the design of the 5D. At least the internals. It they were, they may well have been doing paralell development of thier own version way back when. I'm sure we'll know soon enough, if they plan to be selling mid-summer we probably don't have long before they announce it.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 8:20 PM   #30

I for one am not interested in anything that requires you having to buy into Sony's proprietarymemory stick technology, and you be darn sure that's one of the first changes (read into that, mistakes) you'll see in whatever model Sony first hits the market with.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote