Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 3, 2006, 8:22 PM   #31

Why is a mistake, Calr? Haven't you seen the news? Sony is now going to take over their DSLR production of cameras with the KM mount.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 8:23 PM   #32
Administrator

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
I for one am not interested in anything that requires you having to buy into Sony's proprietarymemory stick technology, and you be darn sure that's one of the first changes (read into that, mistakes) you'll see in whatever model Sony first hits the market with.
I don't think so Greg.

Sony wants market share, and they're going to do what they've done in the recent past with their higher end cameras if you ask me (for example, the DSC-F828 and DSC-R1).

IMO, they'll go dual format (Memory Stick and CompactFlash) if they're involved in the design. But, I wouldn't count on seeing MS support for the first generation of Sony branded DSLR cameras using a Minolta mount (more likely, just CompactFlash).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 11:27 PM   #33

Come on peoplelet's be realistic here, if you don't go into business to make money then what is it you are in for.

I am very optimisticwiththemarriage of KM's anti-shake and DSLR camera/lensesexperience with Sony'stechnology. Itcan onlyproduce a comparative and very competive camera to what's on the market. Astheir introductory DSLRto this already Nikon/Cannon dominated arena, it is almost a garrantee that they will be very cautious and pay much attention to the quality of the camera and the images it will produce before release. The price though is another thing, my guess is, it will be around $1200 to $1500.

There was talkthat they were going to usea re-designed rumoredKM-D9 as their introductory camera coming sometime between summer and Christmas. We will all just have to wait and see.

phillp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 4:57 PM   #34
VP

Jim and all

If this Sony announcement had came out just before you made your purchase of yourKM, would you have went ahead with the purchase OR took a wait and see attitude? Of course this would be due to such concerns as warranty and support of current models among other issues.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 5:46 PM   #35
Administrator

Well, I didn't make my purchases all at once.

I actually started buying Minolta lenses before I was even sure I was going with a KM DSLR and before it was shipping. ;-)

I was a very careful shopper, and tried to make sure I wasn't going to lose much if anything if I changed my mind later when I could get my hands on a 5D.

In fact, one of the things that was really nice with Minolta lenses, is that they were inexpensive compared to used lenses for other brands (and most of my lenses were purchased used).

From my perspective, prices would go up once the feeding frenzy started with new 5D owners looking for lenses on the used market (KM had an intial production of 50,000 cameras per month with the 5D).

So, I wanted to make sure I got most of my lenses first, even though I wasn't positive on a camera choice. :-)

My existing lenses were Nikkor (35mm gear is Nikon). But, I was attracted to the KM models for low light usability and started going that direction before I was sure about one.

If the announcemnt about Sony and KM had come before I got a 5D, it would have given me some pause.

But, given that prices are even lower now on the bodies (lenses went up), it's still the best deal you can find if you like existing light (and I wanted a tool that worked well in low light environments, like the local clubs and restaurants in my area with live music).

I wouldn't trade it for any of the other entry level DSLR models, for the type of shooting I want to do. But, not everyone is going to want to use a camera in the same conditions, so they may be more open to alternatives.

If I had to make the decision right now (post announcements), I'd probably go KM again.

Sony and KM announced plans for Sony branded DSLR models using the Maxxum/Dynax lens mount a long time ago. This is not a new thing. Only that KM is exiting the camera market for KM branded cameras is new.

They'll still be making DSLR models for Sony. We should see the first model hit this summer.

Sony wants to capture 25% of the DSLR market, and they didn't decide to buy some of KM's assets for the fun of it. Minolta has produced some 16 Million lenses in this mount, so there are a lot of potential DSLR customers for new models using it. It's not like KM went "belly up".

They're still in business (even if you won't see any more KM branded cameras). Sony will be taking over warranty work. But, so what. We're entitled to warranty repairs if needed and I don't think Sony wants to aliienate potential customers by skimping on service. There could be some rough spots during the transition. We'll just need to wait and see.

But, if I had to guess, Sony will probably bend over backwards to make sure existing KM owners are more comfortable with the idea of Sony branded DSLR models. You don't enter a market niche as the "new guy on the block" and start alienating potential customers if you want to capture market share.

As for the future, you're not locked in to Sony if you decide you want another brand later on. Sell and switch. That's all.

I don't think I'd have a problem with the marketability of any lenses I've bought (especially when KM and Sony gear up for increased production of cameras using this lens mount under the Sony brand name).

Nobody has a crystal ball. Will Sony have better technology next year or will Canon, or Nikon? Does it really matter? How often are we really going to upgrade? I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

It's not like even more disruption to existing camera owners looking for an upgrade path hasn't happened in the past either. A lot of Canon owners probably weren't very happy about it when they changed their lens mount system to the newer EF Mount. You could probably say the same thing when Minolta changed theirs beginning with the Maxxum 7000.

That's not the case here and KM is still in business, with arrangements for Sony to take over responsibility for service; with one of the largest sensor manufacturers in the world getting ready to use their marketing clout to sell more cameras using the Maxxum/Dynax mount.

Even Canon uses Sony sensors in some of their non-DSLR models. It's not the end of the world.

Am I thrilled about it? Nope.

But, I see no good reason to change, until I have a genuine need for an upgrade. Then, I'll weigh all of the available choices, including those from Sony, before making a decision.

Right now, if you want a DSLR that gives you anti-shake with every lens, including bright primes, with ISO speeds up to ISO 3200, the KM 5D and 7D are the "only game in town" (and selling out fast at dealers that still have stock).

Old Feb 18, 2006, 7:22 PM   #36
VP

Jim..... thanks for the reply and your thoughts. I am in the phase of determining which DSLR and lens combinations to go with (who isn't:-))

Have my eye on KM7D but may wait for a couple of months to see what the latest will be from PMA. or if maybe there will be a 9D.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:41 PM   #37

I speculate that the 1st decently priced DSLR that has a viewfinder with a real-time, holographic-histogram embedded in it will blow ppl away. Add the in-camera anti-shake & great high ISO images & at least 8-10mp's & you have a winner........
Old Feb 22, 2006, 6:05 AM   #38

Quote:
If this Sony announcement had came out just before you made your purchase of your KM, would you have went ahead with the purchase OR took a wait and see attitude? Of course this would be due to such concerns as warranty and support of current models among other issues.
I'd been on the edge of going for the KM Maxxum 5D for a little while - when I got the news that KM was leaving the camera biz.

At first, I was devestated. I could see that the AS body was the way to go, and now it seemed it was going to fade away.

But then, I understood that what had happened may have been the best thing that could have happened (for me). I just had to decide whether I wanted to purchase a KM 5D now, or wait for the Sony Maxxum 5D/7D/9D family.

((You see, I have been a happy Sony camera user for quite a while, and still use a DSC717 with a very nice Zeiss 5X (42-200mm equiv.) f/2.0-2.4 lens - that came out about 2002. I've kept my eye out for better cameras over the years, because I expected that to happen. But, that lens/sensor combination is pretty hard to beat - unless you move up to DSLR. ))

It wasn't hard to decide. The 5D (was) available now, and relatively cheap! Lenses are plentiful - especially from Sigma and others - (and the prospect of Zeiss Maxxum mount lenses is exciting!)

I speculate that Sony will bring out a flagship model - that will be between $1000 and $2000. I would expect they'd use their 10 MPixel APS-size sensor - with AS. That would be eventually followed by a lower cost model (perhaps around $1000 with good kit lens).

If Sony comes out with a 10 MPixel Maxxum mount body, it will be compatible with the pool of lenses I now have - and I would obviously consider it.

Mark my words: Sony will be contender in the DSLR market - easily #3 behind Canon and Nikon. (This is assuming they keep the AS body, because that is something the others don't offer.)

Rob45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:20 AM   #39
Administrator

Rob45 wrote:
Quote:
Mark my words: Sony will be contender in the DSLR market - easily #3 behind Canon and Nikon. (This is assuming they keep the AS body, because that is something the others don't offer.)
Sony is already number 3 in the United States for Digital Camera sales, behind Kodak and Canon (although I don't know what the ranking is in other parts of the world).

They're only the "new kid on the block" with DSLR models. Given their marketing clout and distribution network, it shouldn't take them long to start getting market share with DSLR models, too.

Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:10 AM   #40
E.T

JimC wrote:
Quote:
They're only the "new kid on the block" with DSLR models.** Given their marketing clout and distribution network, it shouldn't take them long to start getting market share with DSLR models, too.
Yeah, Sony has very strong PR arm so they will be serious contender now when they have lot of existing lenses and sensor based IS making every lens stabilized as base.
If they use Minolta's experience and knowledge well their share could rise fast considering (Konica)Minolta has been lacking in PR department big time compared to big makers.

And if Sony has any sense for not targeting to harakiri they retain CF card and at most add Proprietary Scheisse slot for attracting users of their P&S models.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote