Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 29, 2006, 4:08 PM   #1

In addition to the future of Konica Minolta, I was wondering the avaliability of lenses for the 5D.

As there will not be any future Km lenses being manufacturered, will lenses for the 5D and 7D become more avaliable via second hand? Any opinions apprecaited.

In addition, are Sigma lenses generally better quality than KM manufacturered lenses?

Choosing the 5D was hard enough, but with the sale of KM to Sony, I would like to see the opportunity to buy better lenses without compromising on quality.
kjeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2006, 4:19 PM   #2
Administrator

kjeal wrote:
Quote:
In addition to the future of Konica Minolta, I was wondering the avaliability of lenses for the 5D.

As there will not be any future Km lenses being manufacturered, will lenses for the 5D and 7D become more avaliable via second hand? Any opinions apprecaited.
IMO, no (but I wouldn't rule anything out, since some Minolta owners may not like the new arrangement with Sony and dump their gear).

But, I think you'll likely see supplies of used lenses tighten even more once Sony builds up it's DSLR marketing engine and launches new models.

They are going to try and capture 20-25% of the DSLR market. So, you'll have a lot of new camera owners looking for bargains in used lenses in the future.

Just since KM launched the 5D, supplies have dwindled tremendously (with prices of used lenses increasing).

I would also not assume that you won't see new lenses being manufactured. Sony is going to want to sell lenses, too (a huge money maker). Profits are much thinner on the camera bodies compared to lenses.

Quote:
In addition, are Sigma lenses generally better quality than KM manufacturered lenses?
You really need to take each lens on a case by case basis. You have very good quality lenses, and low quality "junk" from most lens manufacturers (including Sigma and Minolta).

P.S.

Minolta has manufactured 16 Million Lenses since the Maxxum/Dynax mount was launched in 1985. So, there are a lot of used lenses out there somewhere.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 7:09 PM   #3

I would certainly agree with JimC.

We have already seen a real tightening (increased prices) in the used lens market. It really depends on what Sony does with the lenses that they will supply in the future for the KM-5D/7D, or their own re-badged Sony dSLR camera.

Lenses are much better profit buffers/providers, than cameras, so I believe that Sony will jump in with BOTH feet. Will their quality be only equal to Sigma, Tamron, and Samyang? Nobody knows.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:55 AM   #4

Aside from inventory disruptions as all those people who cleaned out the 5D's in the last two weeks buy lenses, and the lag as Sony gets thier name on the lenses coming out of the ex-minolta plant and ships them.... I guess that we have to look more than five years into the future to consider lens availibility problems, and only then if chicken little is right.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote