Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 30, 2006, 6:33 PM   #1

I will be receiving my 5D in a couple of days and was getting excited to start taking pics of my daughter and was wanting to get a AF 50mm f/1.7 lens for low light indoor pics since I cannot use flash taking her picture, and now I cannot find the lens in stock anywhere.* Does anyone have a connection?* I am despirate to find this lens.
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2006, 6:54 PM   #2
Administrator

If you're fast, KEH has one in Excellent condition now for $65.00 (first one I've seen there lately). That's a little steep for a used 50mm f/1.7 compared very not long ago. But, it's all about supply and demand (and demand seems to be up right now).

http://www.keh.com/shop/product.cfm?...;crid=13392006

There are some on Ebay now, too.

P.S. -- KEH is an excellent vendor. I've bought used gear from them a number of times.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:25 PM   #3

Seems a pricey for a used lens.* Is the KM 50mm f/1.4 worth the extra money?* Just wondering, not jumping to conclusions yet!
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:53 PM   #4
Administrator

Yep... that is a bit steep for a used 50mm f/1.7 (but, they are getting pretty scarce right now). If KEH says excellent, you can bet it's like new though. Heck, their bargain lenses are often in super condition (they have very conservative ratings).

I personally wouldn't pay as much as they're asking for a 50mm f/1.4 right now. But, I have not used the lens. People that have used both seem to prefer the 50mm f/1.4 though.

I've got a 50mm f/1.7 (I got it in in a package that included a Maxxum 7000, a Minolta 1800AF flash and a 50mm f1.7 for a "buy it now" price of $49 on Ebay).

Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:42 PM   #5

Jim-

Minolta 50mm F 1.7 lenses are fetching $80 to $90 on ebay.com. Prices are changing rapidly, or dare I say daily. Folks arebuying up the 50mm F 1.7 lenses one after another every day. Finding a 50mm F 1.7 will soon be a difficult task. KEH is also out, and I would guess the next batch will fetch a HIGHER price.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:07 PM   #6

Is the $80- $90 price for new or used?
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:28 PM   #7
Administrator

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
KEH is also out, and I would guess the next batch will fetch a HIGHER price.
Yep... KEH had a 50mm f/1.7 in excellent condition used 2 hours ago for $65. It's gone now. I figured someone would grab it pretty fast.

http://www.keh.com/shop/brand.cfm?si...;crid=13393811

Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:43 PM   #8

gobucks-

The price I quoted are for USED lenses on ebay.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:52 PM   #9

When I was shopping for mine a few weeks ago they seemed to go for cheaper as kits with film cameras on ebay. One was listed new-in-box that the owner aparently never got around to using for a buy it now of $29. I saw it pop up in the listings as I was browsing, but it was sold by the time I clicked on it!

Cameta Camera is a huge seller on eBay and has a site here http://www.cameta.com/used_inventory2.html with TWO 50/1.7 lenses listed in thier used section for $40!!!!! I would consider buying both and reselling one on ebay for profit, at that price.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:59 PM   #10
Administrator

That's what they were selling for, before the Sony announcement (usually under $50). The prices I'm seeing right now are a bit steep for used 50's (probably just because everyone is out new lenses). Supply and demand. ;-)

On the other hand, it's bright and sharp. So, if you need a lens with it's capabilities, 80 or 90 bucks is cheap.

Now that a lot of the vendors are out of stock on the 5D, perhaps the lens feeding frenzy will slow down soon (unless another batch of 5D's is going to come in to replinish stock soon).

I don't know what's in the pipeline (lenses or bodies).