Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:03 PM   #21

I appreciate all the comments on macro lenses. I like to take close-up photos of watches and being cheap and in possession of a 5D I was looking at the Sigma 50mm and 50mm/DG lenses.

Anybody use one of these?

Jim
Quielo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:09 PM   #22

A couple of nice options to the KM 100mm f2.8 are Sigma's 105mm f/2.8 EX DG macro, and Tamron's 90mm f2.8 Di macro lens. Either of these will give you outstanding macro quality, and are less expensive than the KM. All have gotten great reviews.

If I had the money I'd get the KM (assuming you can find one), but being realistic I'll probably go with the Sigma for cost reasons.
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:12 PM   #23

Quielo wrote:
Quote:
I appreciate all the comments on macro lenses. I like to take close-up photos of watches and being cheap and in possession of a 5D I was looking at the Sigma 50mm and 50mm/DG lenses.
Just an FYI - using a longer macro will allow you get great close-ups of insects, bugs and the like that are usually skittish when you get too close. Hence my reasoning for looking at the longer focal length macros. But if you're onlyplanning on doing inanimate work, the 50mm macros will do just fine.
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:00 PM   #24

There's an interesting thread at dpreview started by a guy who's doing some great macros using the KM 100-200 with a reversed 50mm (manual) attached.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17111426
B1ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:20 PM   #25
LT7

I've heard of others doing that too, just reversing to lenses together. I managed to get a 50/3.5 for pretty cheap off Ebay. It takes really sharp close-up pictures when shot at f/4 or greater. AF is veerry sllooww. Since it is a Macro though, I use it on manual focus a lot, and just love the pictures and colors out of it. Just my $0.02. Good luck.

LT
LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 1:10 PM   #26

Has anybody tryed the VIVITAR AF 100mm f3.5 MACRO it is very cheap and It got good review.

http://www.photozone.de/active/surve...tar%20AF%27%22

He rates it good-very good not bad for a lens you can find for about $100 new
gregj62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 4:10 PM   #27
Administrator

gregj62 wrote:
Quote:
Has anybody tryed the VIVITAR AF 100mm f3.5 MACRO it is very cheap and It got good review.

[snip]

He rates it good-very good not bad for a lens you can find for about $100 new
It's not really "he rates it", the ratings you're looking at on http://www.photozone.de are based on a user opinion surveys for the lens, with 26 users responding so far. So, users that have the lens are rating it this high.

I don't have one, but I've read good comments about it from users that have it in more than one camera mount.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 1:11 AM   #28

Your Right I didn't notice that before. :sad:I found some more reviews but they were all users reviews, But ALL said that lens was very sharp. I think I will Buy it and try it. :-)

Heck on ebay " Henry's" it is $107.75 buy it now or start bidding at 89.99.

I will tell you what I think of it when I get it. But since I am new at this, What I think as good or bad might be diff. then somebody that has more experence. I will posts pics when I get I
gregj62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:08 AM   #29

that looks absolutely fantastic! now all i need to now is what is a reversing ring, i get the image in my head that you hold the lens in front of another lens.... sounds rather odd to me
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:33 AM   #30

A reversing ring allows you to either mount the front (filter end) of the lens to a camera body, or to mount two filter ends from lenses together. Macro shooting can be done this way. You won't have autofocus or aperture control though. I've personally never tried it, it sounds a bit too complicated to me- they do build actual macro lenses after all.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote