Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 2, 2006, 4:34 PM   #1

The mirror on my 7d is slightly scratched (light scratching, ~1.5mm close to the centre). It is not visible through the viewfinder as far as I can see. Anyone tell me whether I should worry excessively about this, and should I / can I get it repaired? Is it likely to affect metering, or other camera functions?

I'm kinda flipping out about it right now, especially as KM are transferring to Sony, I'm worried I won't be able to get it fixed.

Any input much appreciated.

Best wishes,

-Ben
oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2006, 6:41 PM   #2

you have until march 1 to get it fixed by minolta

imo, it does not present a problem

JimC ????????????????
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 7:44 PM   #3
Administrator

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
you have until march 1 to get it fixed by minolta

imo, it does not present a problem

JimC ????????????????
Well, I've got a couple of pretty dirty 35mm cameras, and it hasn't impacted them from what I can tell., despite dusty mirrors and viewfinder.. I'm pretty lazy about keeping 'em clean if I don't see a problem with the photos. ;-)

So, I don't see where some light scratches that you can't even see in the viewfinder is going to hurt anything. I guess you could do some controlled conditions tests if you really wanted to see if small scratches could impact focus or metering.. But, I probably wouldn't even bother if the camera is working fine.

KM may not want to fix a scratched mirror under warranty, either. But, you never know aobut these things. The employees losing their jobs may be extra generous in handling customer problems.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 7:51 PM   #4

It shouldn't have any effect on the captured image, but could anoy you enough to use bad language sometime when you shouldn't. The mirror is front silvered so there is no protection of the reflecting surface. It is easily scratched.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'd suggest using a blower - *DON'T TOUCH THE MIRROR*- to try to shake off a small hair in case that is what it is instead of a scratch. If that is the problem, the hair could drop onto the sensor and will have to be dealt with if it does.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 6:05 AM   #5

All,

Thankyou very much for your replies. I have yet to decide whether I will try to get it fixed, but you've put my mind at ease that if I don't, it will be an annoyance at most, and nothing worse.

Thankyou again!

Best wishes,

-Ben
oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote