Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:21 PM   #1

Will 2000xi Minolta flash work with KM 5D? Please help I am a total beginner. Thanks in advance
Darek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:27 PM   #2

I think you'll find it won't, at least not easily.

As I understand it (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) the only KM flashes suited to the 5D are the 2500, the 3600 and 5600 and the macro twin 2400 and macro ring 1200.

http://konicaminolta.com/products/co...cessories.html

There are also 3rd party flashes, eg Sigma, that are also compatible. Hmm, also there are some adapters which MIGHT allow you to use it... but if you're about to buy the flash, it may be easier to go with one that definitely works - or else take it into a store and try it out
fother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:36 PM   #3

Thank you very much for your explanation. I tried to use it with the camera but it appears to go at full blast with camera having no control over it no matter whatI do. Now I know why

Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:48 PM   #4
Administrator

You might get it to fire, but it's going to fire full power (so, you'd need to go manual exposure and stop down the aperture to try and keep from overexposing closer subjects, opening up the aperture for further subjects (and changing settings anytime you change distance to subject). That's the behavior the older dedicated flashes tend to exhibit when you can get 'em to work..

If you want a dedicated Minolta flash that works in all modes, the least expensive one that KM has is the 2500( D) (and it's missing HSS).. To get HSS, you'll need to 3600HS (D) or 5600HS (D);

A third party flash that some users like is the Metz 54MZ4 (or MZ3). You'd need the latest SCA3302M5 foot to go with one for proper operation (but, Metz can upgrade an older foot).

Personally, I went with a cheap solution. An inexpensive auto thryistor flash is another way to go (setting the camera to match the flash for aperture, based on your selected aperture scale on the flash). I just bought two of these units for use with my 5D (a Sunpak 333 Auto with 3 Auto Aperture Ranges and a Sunpak 222 Auto with 2 Auto Aperture Ranges). I got a 3rd party adapter that gives the 5D an ISO standard hot shoe.

I paid $7.00 for the Sunpak 222 Auto and $25.00 for the Sunpak 333 Aut (10 condition, as new in box from B&H).. The hotshoe adapter was $16.00. So, my total flash system investment was a whopping $48.00 (including an extra flash). OK, granted they're not "top of the line" units (GN 72 feet on one and 100 ft. on the other).

You lose HSS with an old solution like this (and you have to set the camera and flash to match). You also don't have a focus assist light from the flash. But, there is no preflash and the flash controls it's own output based on how much reflected light it sees during the exposure, thanks to the built in sensor.

You also have to keep trigger voltages low (the 5D hotshoe is probably rated at around 6 volts, so use anything with higher trigger voltages at your own risk if you get a Minolta FS1100 or similar third party adapter to give the 5D an ISO standard hotshoe).

Here are some trigger voltages for popular strobes (but, make sure to measure any flash you get to be safe) if you go that route):

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 5:30 PM   #5

JimC, thanks a lot for the info.

I appreciate any information related to KM 5D compatible flash units. I jumped the gun on 2000xi flash becauseI was so anxious to get one beforean indoorparty in my parish. Obviously I didn't do enough research.

BTW, what is HHS?

I was able to get the 2000xi flash to fire but only at full blast. Focus assist lamp on the flash also worked, but everything was terribly overexposed.

I will try to asseble a low cost flash system similar to yours. Thanks for all technical details. I will try B&H (only a subway ride from home) and E-bay.

Do you really miss focus assist lamp in your typical shooting situations?
Old Feb 3, 2006, 5:53 PM   #6
Administrator

Darek66 wrote:
Quote:
BTW, what is HHS?
HSS is High Speed Sync. Each manufacturer has their own term for it. But, basically it allows you to use shutter speeds faster than the camera's x-sync speed.

With normal flash operation, your 5D is limited to a maxiumum shutter speed of 1/125 second with Anti-shake on, or 1/180 second with Anti-shake off.

If you try to go any faster, the flash is not synchronized with the shutter (so, you end up with the flash firing after the shutter is partially closed, ruining the images).

HSS pulses the light so that it has a better chance of proper illumnating your subject, versus trying to time it so that the flash fires when the shutter is fully open and before it closes). The downside is that this pulsing greatly reduces your flash range.

A good example of when you may want it, is for fill flash when taking portraits in brighter light outdoors, using larger apertures (smaller f/stop numbers) to help your subject stand out from distracting backgounds, where shutter speeds would be too fast to sync an ordinary flash.

Quote:
Do you really miss focus assist lamp in your typical shooting situations?
Nope, I never liked 'em. They give away your intent and make it harder to get candid photos if your subject sees an AF assist lamp.

Are there conditions when I could really use one? Sure. But, I'd prefer it if the AF sensors worked even better so that I never did need one. ;-)

Also, unless light is very low, the AF sensors work pretty goood on the 5D with a bright lens. I've managed to get AF lock in conditions with light so low I needed to shoot at 1/5 second, ISO 3200, and f/2.5 with my 28mm f/2

Of course, I'll admit that I had some trouble getting lock with lighting that low (and that's proibably an understatement). ;-)

But, a bright lens can go a long ways (since it helps a camera to see better for Autofocus purposes).

Old Feb 6, 2006, 4:55 PM   #7

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Personally, I went with a cheap solution. An inexpensive auto thryistor flash is another way to go (setting the camera to match the flash for aperture, based on your selected aperture scale on the flash). I just bought two of these units for use with my 5D (a Sunpak 333 Auto with 3 Auto Aperture Ranges and a Sunpak 222 Auto with 2 Auto Aperture Ranges). I got a 3rd party adapter that gives the 5D an ISO standard hot shoe.

I paid $7.00 for the Sunpak 222 Auto and $25.00 for the Sunpak 333 Aut (10 condition, as new in box from B&H).. The hotshoe adapter was $16.00. So, my total flash system investment was a whopping $48.00 (including an extra flash). OK, granted they're not "top of the line" units (GN 72 feet on one and 100 ft. on the other).

Jim, I am about to receive me Minolta 5D. I still have a Sunpak 433D flash which works great for my Panasonic FZ30. While I will probably get the dedicated Minolta flash, I am also thinking about getting the hotshoe adapter. Where can I find it?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:13 PM   #8
Administrator

Minolta makes adapters, but Nick (a.k.a., Digital Initiatives) has good quality products, and ships to virtually anywhere:

http://www.pbase.com/digital_initiat...25169818/small

Old Feb 10, 2006, 1:06 PM   #9

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Minolta makes adapters, but Nick (a.k.a., Digital Initiatives) has good quality products, and ships to virtually anywhere:

http://www.pbase.com/digital_initiat...25169818/small

Thanks, Jim. That is certainly a lot cheaper than the Minolta Adapter which runs $89,and thatisn't worth it. Do you know if Nick's adapter would work with my Sunpak 433D?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 1:44 PM   #10

Does anyone know if the Bower 724 for Minolta is any good? They are selling it on ebay for $50.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Minolta-TTL-Boun...QQcmdZViewItem

Follow-up: I just found my answer here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ight=bower+724