Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 2, 2006, 8:11 PM   #1

In preparation for my DLSR venture, I picked up from ebay a Minolta Maxxum 7000 with a 35-70 and the zoom is 80-200. No other description. Can these 2 lenses be used on either the 5D or 7D?

Thank you
optikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2006, 8:18 PM   #2

If they work on a 7000 they will work on a 5D/7D. They are AF lens so no problem.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 8:26 PM   #3
Administrator

If it's a Minolta 80-200mm f/2.8, it won't work. But, I'll take it off you hands and even send you a pre-paid box to ship it to me in with a replacement lens with about the same focal range.

Only kidding. :blah:

But, do let us know if you managed to find a jewel at a bargain price.

Sometimes you run into some early 3rd party lenses that have compatibility issues. For example, some of the early Sigma lenses were sometimes chipped in a way that they were not fully compatible with the lens mount).

But, any Minolta Autofocus lens (a.k.a., Maxxum, Dynax, Minolta A-Mount) lens will work.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 8:55 PM   #4
Administrator

Are you sure it's not a 70-210mm f/4 versus an 80-200mm of some flavor. There were a couple of Maxxum 7000 packages with the 35-70mm f/4 and 70-210mm f/4 in them recently on Ebay.

I was looking at one just a day or two ago. I'd have targeted one of those packages instead of one with an 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 (unless it was a deal too good to pass up for the 35-70).
P.S. I'm not sure I like seeing "following JimC advise' in the description line of a thread titled "I don't know what I got". :-)

You must have seen my posts on buying a Maxxum 7000 for the included lens (I've done it twice). But, the most expensive one was $52.00 for a camera and lens.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 9:19 PM   #5

I've done that myself. Although I hate to invite more bidders, I've found quite a few old camera/lens combos that cost quite a bit less than the body alone was worth. My last gem was a 7000/ 50mm 1.7 both crossed X- for under $50 shipped. mwahahahaha:evil: I also got a decent (in good shape but unremarkable lens) 70-210 for ~$15 because the seller mis-advertised that it would only work on one exact camera.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 10:03 PM   #6

JimC, I'm sorry, the thread does read a bit ...odd; the message about the advice was intended for the body of the post, then I reallized there was another field and let it ride,:-)

I have not got the goods yet; I'll keep you posted if there's a gem in there.

Yes Virginia, there's a 80-200 AF 1:4.5(22)-5.6 Macro Minolta Made in Japan. Tried it on D5: execellent results; I'll post as soon as figure out how.

The other goodies were a Macro 35-70 1:4; that was a gem. Tried different conditions and pictures from the LCD screen of my laptop (4" away) to wide angle and with low light. Excellent results. And...the 7000 body works despite some abuse signs.
optikos is offline   Reply With Quote