Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 6, 2006, 5:07 PM   #1

I'm looking for lens recommendations. I need a super-wide lens for my 7D. I was thinking about investing more in glass before the Sony "thing" was announced, but now I'm just looking for something wide to tide me over until I switch systems. The two I'm thinking about now are:

Sigma 18-50mm, f/3.5-5.6 for around $100

Konica-Minolta 18-70mm, f/3.5-5.6 for around $170

Yes, I know both lenses will be less than spectacular, but like I said - I just want something to cover the super-wide range until I switch systems in a couple of years. Any other recommendations are welcome!

Thanks!
William Kious
William Kious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:56 PM   #2

If you can afford the KM 18-70, that's the one I'd go with. And either of these will give you good pics, as long as you remember to stop down a bit.
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 10:07 PM   #3

Actually, I'm thinking about trying to find a 24mm Minolta prime for a good price.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:28 AM   #4
Administrator

If you're looking for something low priced on the wide end, I've seen a few people that really like the image quality from one of the least expensive wide zooms around... the Vivitar 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 Series I

From most accounts, build quality is poor, but image quality is very good for a wide zoom.

I have not used one.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 6:06 PM   #5

Rambler358 wrote:
Quote:
If you can afford the KM 18-70, that's the one I'd go with. And either of these will give you good pics, as long as you remember to stop down a bit.
Excuse me for being uneducated in "good photography techniques". I just bought a 5D kit yesterday so I'm at the bottom of the learning curve. When you say stop down can you tell me what you mean? As being different from shooting in full auto. What settings would you be shooting in to achieve this?Can anyone who has used the 11-18mm give thier thoughts? Thanks
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 6:45 PM   #6

Simple explanation: small aperatures compensate for lens weaknesses. The smaller your aperature, the sharper your lens will be (less blur and distortion.) As you open a lens up wide, any flaws or weaknesses in the glass become really apparent.

Old Feb 9, 2006, 9:20 PM   #7

Simple enough. Thanks William
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 9:33 AM   #8

I have also heard good things about that Vivitar lens, that it's remarkably sharp for its price. Anyone here have one?

Great simple explanation, William.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 10:38 PM   #9

BE WARNED the Sigma 18-50/3.5.5.6 has a history of back focus problems on the 7D (and likely 5D). I tried FOUR different ones from B&H Photo and all were bad, and I have read numerous forum threads about folks having similar problems with it. I now have the KM 18-70 and it is, in my opinion, far better.
Jacqueaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 11:15 PM   #10

Jacqueaux wrote:
Quote:
BE WARNED the Sigma 18-50/3.5.5.6 has a history of back focus problems on the 7D (and likely 5D).
I thought the focus problems were with the higher-end Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 model, not so? :?
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote