Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 6, 2006, 5:33 PM   #1

Reading about the mechanics of KM AS system I got impressed; also, the fact that I get IS with every lens makes a lot of sense.

The question is how reliable, and I mean meachanically, is this system?
Has anyone seen published figures of failures of the AS mechanism or has anyone questioned KM for these figures.

The system is so intricate that I doubt there will be places that can fix it or I can afford to pay them to fix it. Just wondering!
optikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2006, 6:45 PM   #2

Thus far, I have personally found the KM Anti-Shake Sytem to be both effective and reliable. Please keep in mind that Anti-Shake is only a tool. It will not take care of every photo situation, particularly when the motion is involved in the subject. This is a camera motion dampening system. It has no effect when yoursubject is in motion.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 7:21 PM   #3

Thank you for confirming the effectives of the AS system. I was refering, though, to its reliability in terms of how long will the mechanism last or what may make it fail, again mechanically.
I'm sure KM and all the reviewers and users have tested its function by now.
optikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 7:32 PM   #4

optikos-

I am sorry. But I cannot supply that information.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:34 AM   #5

I doubt many (any?) people have used thier 7D/5D enough to wear it out yet. I was reading about long term reliability and the shutters in SLR cameras are generally rated for 100,000 to 200,000 cycles and are the first part expected to wear out. I'm pretty confident that minolta designed the AS system to AT LEAST outlive that, linear actuators and a couple sensors should have a long lifespan. The prosumer cameras (A1/A2,etc) use AS constantly, the DSLR's only activate it during the exposure, so it might be reasonable to think it would last longer in the DSLR's...

Hey, dont they use similar mechanics in the IS/VR lenses?
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:11 AM   #6

Because the pixels of a DSLR are much larger than those of a P&S camera, the impact of shake on sharpeness of a DSLR shot is considerably smaller than in the case of a P&S camera. On the other hand a DSLR has additional mirror shake. Because Konica Minolta's image stabiliser is much closer to the mirror, it should be able to compensate mirror shake more effectively than the extremely expensive lenses from Canon and Nikon with optical image stabilisation. Thus, while for P&S cameras optical image stabilisation is slightly more efficient than moving the CCD, in the DSLR case it should be the other way round. Unfortunately there is yet no objective way to measure the quality of image stabilisation.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:38 AM   #7
E.T

I wouldn't keep that so demanding from technological viewpoint, just remember what read/write heads of HDs go through...
For example WD states their RAID-edition HDs (completely similar physically as some desktop HDs) have 1 200 000 hour MTBF in full 24/7 use.

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
The prosumer cameras (A1/A2,etc) use AS constantly
Wrong. You can select is it used for exposure or focusing+exposure.
(and of course it can be turned off completely)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote