Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:16 PM   #1

My 5D is on the way, and I am excited. Already lining up all the accessories I'll need. I have a 55 mm linear polarizer. Is this going to work with the 5D or do I need a circular one? Does the 5D use beam splitting autofocus, which seems to be the deciding factor if I need circular or not. Please let me know.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:36 PM   #2

rduve-

I have always used a circular polarizar, for many years, with good results. However, that might just be me. Try them both and then make an "educated" decision.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:20 PM   #3

Thanks. But the way it works is this: one either needs a circular polarizer because of the camera's beam splitting AF system or one doesn't. It's not really a personal preference. The circular polarizer was created out of necessity since the linear polarizer would interfere with certain camera's auto focus systems. But if that's not the case, the linear one works at least as well as the circular.

I already have the linear polarizer, which works great on my Panasonic FZ30. I don't really want to buy a circular polarizer unless it is required for this camera.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:57 AM   #4

You'll need a circular polarizer on the 5D.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:59 AM   #5

Thanks.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:02 PM   #6

You're gonna love the 5D coming from the Panny. AS and good used lens can't be beat. Get a fast prime and you'll be amazed at the low light possibilities with no noise! Ask JimC
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:40 PM   #7

Yeah, I am looking forward. I only have had my FZ30 for a couple of months, got all the accessories, and now I am ready to make a switch. I got a deal on the 5D I just could not pass up. Body with 2 lenses (Sigma 28-70 and 75-300), 512 MB CF, camera bag, all for $649. I also got my hands on the original Minolta 18-70 lens byreselling just the bodyfrom a kit that a local camera store was blowing out.Do you think I'll be finding any reason to keep my FZ30 around or should I just sell it? Also, do you have any idea how the Minolta 18-70 3.5-5.6 lens compares to the Sigma 28-70 3.5-4.5 lens in sharpness and optical quality? And would my Sunpak 433D flash (dedicated for Minolta) work well with the 5D or should I just get the 3600 or 5600?
Old Feb 7, 2006, 1:00 PM   #8

The 18-70 is a decent lens and i use it for wide ( 18mm =24mm). I don't know about the Sigma. I've got a KM 28-75 F2.8 as my main lens and it's great. Maybe sell a few things and get that lens and pick up a used 70-210 F4 and a 50mm F1.7. I would off the FZ30 and maybe get a FZ5 or 7 as a small carry around. I kept my FZ1v2 and might get a FZ7 depending on reviews. I think if you invest in good glass as your first move you'll be a lot happier. I see mrtrtt bought some nice stuff and he's been taking some great shots with his 5D. The dpreview forum has a lot good info and is more active so I would check it out as a method to get more answers to your questions. Use the search and you'll find all kinds of goodies

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Old Feb 7, 2006, 1:15 PM   #9

Thanks a lot for your answers. I think you are right. If one carries around the bulk, one might as well have a DSLR instead of the FZ30, and use an FZ5 or so as a more compact every day camera. I also have a little Fuji F11, which fits in my pocket, has amazing image quality, but of course lacks the zoom.

I will check out dpreview as you recommended. There is one more question I have: Do all Minolta SLRlenses fit on the Maxxum or are there different mounts? I am looking at getting an old 35 or 50 mm lens with f1.4 or 1.7 for cheap on ebay, even if they are manual focus. Would they fit?
Old Feb 7, 2006, 1:27 PM   #10

Make sure to get AF lens as MD lens use a different mount. You can use an adapter but I don't think it's worth it. Use ebay, KEH,BH or Cameta as used lens sources as well local pawn shops. There are still deals here and there just make sure of what you're getting. Sony may have some lens in the future but there are a lot of good lens to be had. Tamrom and Sigma are other options. I would get a couple of good lens and learn how the camera works for you. It's a big step up from the Panny in image quality.