Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:57 AM   #1

So I finally took the plunge and ordered my first DSLR today - of course the dynax 5D! I should have it tomorrow so I'm quickly looking at the other lenses to consider.

I have read here about the Minolta 70-210 f4 and I'm currently scouring ebay and local shops for a bargain.

Aside from this, what do you think of the Sigma 70-210mm f4.

Also, I'ver ordered the 1GB sandisk Extreme III - has anyone used this with the 5d yet? Are write times as good as they say?

Thanks folks
M.
overexpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:54 AM   #2

Sandisk Extreme III, it is fast, but I can't say how much faster really, all I know is compare to my old Verbatiam(sp?) 128 MB it is more reliable as the old car seems to cause my 5D to hang and stop....
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:05 AM   #3

I have no problems with my 2gb EIII in my 5D The only trouble you might have is running out of space 1 gb will hold about 130 Large/extrafine jpegs. If you shoot raw, your looking at less than 100.

Im looking to get the 4gb next as I try to shoot in Raw+jpeg most of the time if I dont need burst shots. That sucks alot of space.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:20 AM   #4
Administrator

overexpo wrote:
Quote:
Also, I'ver ordered the 1GB sandisk Extreme III - has anyone used this with the 5d yet? Are write times as good as they say?
It's the fastest card in the 5D, based on user tests. You can find some results here:

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/cfcard/index.asp

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:10 PM   #5

I have a sandisk ultra II 1gb with my 5D and was surprised that burst depth is WAAAAYYYY better than advertised. Like 21 pics at 3fps full res jpg, then 2 frames per second until the card is full.... That just rounds out the whole package, this camera is ready to take a photo ANY time you press the shutter, period. I love that. Reviewing a photo, playing in the menus, just shot a three frame burst, dosent matter its ready. The viewfinder is always there and doing what you expect.

I also have a rosewill 1gb card from newegg ($45) which performs painfully slow in comparison, but makes a great cheap backup.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 4:32 PM   #6

overexpo I also just took the same dive. I'm waiting for the fed ex guy now. This is my first DSLR and I did alot of reading throughout this site and the descison was pretty easy. I got the kit lens setup and after trying to configure a lens arsenal on a budget this is my game plan. Read everything you can on this site before you make any decisions. With that being said I decided that the first lens that I would buy would be the 70-110mm f4. As buying thelens kit (18-70mm) this 70-110mm f4 lens picks up right where 18-70mm lens ends and seems the most logical one to buy first. I bought one yesterday at a local camera shop they had 3 to choose from ranging from $99-$129. Now for the second lens this is where it gets tricky. I think I will just have fun with what I got for a while and in time I should have a better idea of what I really need. Oh yeh also bought the sandisk 1G ultra II. Have fun with your new 5D and let us know what lenses you decide on.

Mike
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 5:42 AM   #7

Thanks folks for the info.

I couldn't wait for it to arrive yesterday and despite having caught an awrful case of the flu I managed to find enough energy to get it all set up. The Sandisk Extreme III is very good, far better than a Kingston Elite Pro from my old canon.

Coming from my Panasonic FZ5 (which I thought was a good prosumer cam) I am really pleased with the whole package. I managed to get a great deal on the kit so only ended up paying £429 inc of free next deleivery. With this in mind - this kit cannot be beaten in my opinion.

Mike - I will certainly be considering my lens purchases before I buy and despite the bad reviews I read about the kit lens (18-70mm) I think it is a good range and the softness can soon be remedied.

I think I'll go for used minolta lenses as described in this forum i.e the 50mm f1.7 and the 70-210 f4. I'm really intersted in a good quality wide angle for a pending trip to France and South West Wales in the coming months.

I'm suck in the house at the mo but Im hoping to take some 'real' shots to really test it out over the weekend.

Thanks again for all your advice and info over the past months.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 1:20 PM   #8

Hi overexpo
I am also buying a new camera. Overexpo, what do you think, will be the main advantages of the KM5 against your old FZ5.
Why do you upgrade ? I need some suggestions.
sandokan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 6:11 AM   #9

Hi Sandokan1,

The first thing to clear up is that you simply cannot compare the two cameras. One is an SLR the other a compact with manual features and a big zoom.

I decided to upgrade after buying my FZ5 as I quickly realised the shortcomings of a tiny CCD and a big zoom lens! I wanted better low light quality but also the flexibility of interchangeable lenses. For me, once I had decided that a DSLR was the way forward, the decision to go KM 5D was easy - built in anti shake, compatible wiith almost all of the Minolta AF lenses (many of which are good quality), excellent low noise levels throughout the ISO (for a camera at this price) and easy to use.

It much heavier than my FZ5 but I find that this helps to hold it steady and the build quality seems good too (apart from the curser control buttons which make a cheap springy sound!).

This is my honest opinion about the KM5D - a very pleasing camera and a bargain at price. The kit lens is plenty good enough for most situations, and used minolta lenses are easy to pick up. Image quality is superb and the RAW feature is a god send!

UPGRADE!!!!
Old Feb 16, 2006, 7:29 PM   #10

overexpo, i too have the 5d and recently bought the extreme 111 card.* i had been using the 128 out of my other camera.* with the 128 i could get 5 shots continuous, then a delay and then amemic performance. with the ex111 i counted about 25 shots continuous and then i stopped as that is more than i would ever shoot. it probably is overkill for this camera but that is what i wanted. i also have the 70-210 sigma off my 7000i.* i was going to buy a longer lens but this will work fine. the width of the image at 210 is 50% wider on the 7000i than the 5d, like a 300+ on 5d. j
jellero is offline   Reply With Quote