Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 19, 2006, 8:11 PM   #1

I'll start off by telling you that this forum has been a great tool for educating myselfwhile deciding whichDSLR to purchase. After reading the great advise from the many knowledgeable photographers (and moderators)to the other people trying to decide which camera to buy made the KM 5D was an easy choice. Now that I've had a chance to play with my5D for a couple weeks there are some issues I'm concerned with.

1. Taking pictures of the moon in particular. I bought a used 70-210 f/4 to complement the kit lens, and this lens has produced some great shots, butwhen taking some moon shots the lens would sometimes produce 2 moons. I don't know if the lens is bad or I am. I know that it's not that easy and I did use many combinations af appeture and shutter speeds with a tripod and the 2 second timer to prevent blur.

2. Another shot with the kit lens producedbright spots in the photo. I'm trying to shoot insettings other then auto to get a understanding of what it takes to get a well exposed picture. I gonna need alot of practice and advice. Thanks for all responces. I'll post a couple of photo's in question. Thefirst being the 70-110 f4 lens shooting the moon.

Mike
Attached Images

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2006, 8:12 PM   #2

This is a shot with the kit lens that produced bright spots.
Attached Images

Old Feb 19, 2006, 8:13 PM   #3

Ok 3 shots. this is the 70-110 f4 again
Attached Images

Old Feb 20, 2006, 1:48 AM   #4

Regarding picture2. Could it be that you had some waterspots on the lens? Looks like it to me. The first one, I am not sure. Seems like a reflection bouncing off from somewhere within the lens elements. The sun (moon?) is definitely overexposed. I'd step down a few f-stops, and I bet you, the ghost image would disappear. Not quite sure what your question regarding the 3rd image is. PS: I also got my 5D a couple of weeks ago, and I am very happy with it so far, having been an old time film SLR shooter, it's an easy transition.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 11:14 AM   #5

all three shots are 'flare' due to the angle of the sun/moon

this is perfectly normal!

welcome to the world of 'real' photography

(were you using a filter on the 'front end' ?)
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 11:56 AM   #6

Flare! I've read about that darn flare. Thanks bernabeu & rduve. Yes I was using a (clear) filter on the lens. I was told it was to protect the lens. Does the filter cause flare? or is it just the lens? It was dusty (photo 2) and I had been drinking alot so anything could have gotten on the lens I guess but Im so carefull with the new camera & lens that I really doubt anything besides dust could have gotten on the lens. Photo 3. Hexagon bright spot. Normal, flare? By the way how do you get rid of flare?

Thaks Mike
Old Feb 20, 2006, 4:08 PM   #7

the clear (uv or skylight) filter is an added optical element which adds another layer of internal reflection(s)

i recomend it's permanent removal (but leave the lens hood on to protect the lens)

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote