Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:47 PM   #91

bsteaves, are you using a Minolta 5D? I find it interesting that your results are so different from mine. If nothing else, the Sigma flashes seem to be very inconsistent.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 7:16 PM   #92

Rduve, I have read your messages. I will try to find the shots you request, though I have tried it up to ~25 ft. with good results in FP- TTL mode. Perhaps not perfect, yet from what I see much better than it did for you. I will try to post those shots tomorrow. (been a busy weekend and I have so many pics this week that it may take me a while to locate what you need.)
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 8:26 PM   #93

Thanks Mercury. It's ok. Don't go out of your way. I appreciate your help. I am sendingthe flashback regardless. Too much hassle.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:18 PM   #94

Ok, unless someone else asks to see them I won't wade through my pics today, if that's alright with you, Rduve. I am just feeling really lazy and I need to rework the way my files are stored if I am going to continue to store the volume of photos that I have stored in the last 3 weeks. I should do some pruning and get an external drive for this...and I though getting a Dslr would save me money!! lol. ....now, how big do external drives get?...

I can't blame you for sending it back, I am still not certain I won't do the same. It's not that it's *that bad*, it's that I spent ~$200 for a flash that Sigma claims has 100% compatibility- clearly it doesn't. From Jim's pictures I could do as well (perhaps even better) with a price below $50.(though I may have to do a little more thinking)At the least, I could spend the same on a 3600 minolta (provided I can find one) and get full functionality in auto mode. I don't know, I have a few more days to think about it.

Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:29 PM   #95

Yeah, relax, don't worry about the pictures. My Sigma goes back for a refund today. By the way, check Buy.com for an external drive. They have a slim 250GB drive for $99.95 after rebate. I am thinking about picking one up as well on top of the 2GB CF card they offer for $49.95 after rebate.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:48 PM   #96

Thanks, I will look at that. Also, I got my CF card from KEH ( Sandisk ultra 3) a 2gb for $110. I probably could have found a cheaper price, yet the speed of the card is awesome. I have shot over 30 frames in continuous mode with no lag. I do hear that the ultra 2card is almost as fast.

On the flash, how is cameta's return policy?
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:59 PM   #97

This CF card on Buy.com is a 50x, and all the reviews are raving about it. I have been in touch with customer service at Cameta, namely with Maryann and she has been very kind exchanging the flash and already confirmed that they'll refund it upon receipt.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 6:13 PM   #98

rduve wrote:
Quote:
This CF card on Buy.com is a 50x, and all the reviews are raving about it. I have been in touch with customer service at Cameta, namely with Maryann and she has been very kind exchanging the flash and already confirmed that they'll refund it upon receipt.
I didn't check this forum before buying the Sigma EF-500 DG Super , so I may have a bad one too. I bought mine from Cameta also, so it's good to know they are as good taking back as they are shipping. I have bought from them twice, and they are OK in my book.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 6:16 PM   #99

cope wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:
I didn't check this forum before buying the Sigma EF-500 DG Super , so I may have a bad one too. I bought mine from Cameta also, so it's good to know they are as good taking back as they are shipping. I have bought from them twice, and they are OK in my book.

Yes, Cameta is great. They exchanged it once and then issued a refund when the second one did not work. Sigma, on the other hand, did not even respond after I sent them an email, that all their "adjustment" did was changing the flash from overexposing to underexposing. Bad Customer Service. If Cameta is getting more and more of those returned, maybe they'll have have a word with Sigma. Talk to Maryann, she is very helpful.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:11 PM   #100

I got my EF-500DG Super this AM, and after some testing, mine seems to be working just fine. I read some threads on another forum, and apparently flashes with a 6X serial number range are less likely to perform properly than those with a 7X range (which mine is). I can't be certain until I take more pictures, but I will report back.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote