Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:13 PM   #101

Interesting. Keep us posted. I never checked the serial number on the ones I had before returning them.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:08 PM   #102

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Interesting. Keep us posted. I never checked the serial number on the ones I had before returning them.
Apaprently the serial number doesn't make much difference. I tried taking pictures in a lighted room on full bounce and they were underexposed. Even straight flash, the built in flash is better. I have emailed Cameta requesting a RMA and refund. Once this is handled, I guess I will get a 3600 HS.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:12 PM   #103

Talk to Maryann at Cameta. She knows all about the problem.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:14 PM   #104
Administrator

Quote:
...once this is handled, I guess I will get a 3600 HS.
The 3600HS (D) has tilt but not swivel. You can only bounce in a landscape position (unless you plan on a flash bracket that lets you rotate the camera or the flash).

In a portrait position with a shoe mounted flash, you'll want the swivel.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:33 PM   #105

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
...once this is handled, I guess I will get a 3600 HS.
The 3600HS (D) has tilt but not swivel. You can only bounce in a landscape position (unless you plan on a flash bracket that lets you rotate the camera or the flash).

In a portrait position with a shoe mounted flash, you'll want the swivel.
Well, seems like there is no easy solution. I guess I could use the 3600 on a tripod for portraits. The 5600 is too high. I was really hoping I got one of the good Sigmas. Metz gets good marks, but they are as pricey as the 5600.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:36 PM   #106

My Sunpak 433 (same as 383) swivels in all directions, is very powerful and its auto thyristor ensures accurate exposure. All you have to do is set the aperture and ISO and get the adapter for to make it fit on the Minolta shoe for $20 or so. You can get the Sunpaks for about $30 on ebay.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:43 PM   #107
Administrator

Exactly.

I got a third party adapter to give my 5D an ISO standard hotshoe for $16, and spent $25 for a Sunpak 333 Auto in 10 condition (as new in box) from the used department at B&H. It's got tilt, swivel and zoom with multiple auto aperture ranges (as well as multiple manual power settings).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 6:26 PM   #108

Looking at my invoice, Cameta replaces but doesn't refund. I am going to talk to Mayann and see if she will cut to the chase and issue a refund like she finally did for rduve. I am not going to buy anything until I get word from her tomorrow. They were clsoed by the time I figured all this out. Thanks for the ideas. Whre do you get the adapter?
Old Apr 5, 2006, 8:45 AM   #109

I spoke with Evelyn at Cameta this morning and they are giving me a full refund including S&H. A guy in New Jersey emailed me when he saw I had bought a flash from them. He is having the same issues with under-esposure, but he is sending his back to Sigma (at Cameta's expense) for firmware upgrade. I think he is spitting in the wind, but time will tell. Meanwhile, I got the 5600HS from Digital Foto Discount Club for $298.95 out the door. This is my second big ticket purchase from them and they are super people. I wish Cameta had the KM flash; I would have paid a little more since they were so good about the refund.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:10 AM   #110

Yes, I also tried to get the 5600 from Cameta but they'd have to special order it. I will try the place you recommended in case I decide to get it. That's the best price I have seen. Let us know how the 5600 works for you.