Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 5, 2006, 1:00 PM   #111

i havent seen the 3600 nor the 5600 in about a week on ebay, just the instruction manuals! i really want that swivel flash.

actually the 3600 is around, but very few auctions, still cant find the 5600.
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 1:33 PM   #112

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
i havent seen the 3600 nor the 5600 in about a week on ebay, just the instruction manuals! i really want that swivel flash.

actually the 3600 is around, but very few auctions, still cant find the 5600.
Where I got mine. They have the 3600 and 5600 in stock. Good people before and after the sale.

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/gifts.asp
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 2:54 PM   #113

There could be some truth to the Sigma flash serial numbers starting with 7 being better. Mine starts with a 7 and of around 300 shots at a shoot I did last week I only got about 15 with what I would consider bad flash results. This was in a very large and fairly dark room. I did use the flash compensation at +1 and the flash set to TTL [FP], but I used several lenses and they all produced useable results the vast majority of the time. I cannot explain my better experience. Most of the bad exposures were underexposed, with only 2 or 3 being overexposed. It may also matter that I am shooting with a 7d, whereas most people are using the 5d. I am not sure of the reason, but I am glad that I've got one that works.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 3:01 PM   #114

Mercury, how are your results when you bounce the flash?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 4:20 PM   #115

why would the results be different from a 7D to a 5D?
Old Apr 5, 2006, 5:23 PM   #116

My bounce results have been to this time a bit inconsistent. When I use the reflector, they are better, and I suspect that the inconsistency is more related to the high angled ceilings here at home (where most of my tests of this camera have been done). I did try a few bounce shots last Fri., and they were also a bit dim however the ceiling there was about 12-14ft tall and not white. (I think Yellow or perhaps Cream would describe it best.) I think I can get good results with a bit of trial and error. To be frank though, my bounce results have always been a bit inconsistent. The good thing now is that I don't have to develop 200 rolls of film to practice.

Dorkunderwater, It is possible that the firmware inside the flash is better calibrated to the 7d, especially if the reverse engineering was done before the 5d was released. (Sigma does not license their products from KM, they buy a few and reverse engineer them to attempt compatibility. This is why some Sigma lenses are not fully compatible with newer KM camera bodies.) We can't assume that everything about the camerasare exactly the same, there are some fairly significant differences in hardware and I am sure KMrefined quite a few things in the softtware/firmwarebetween the two models.I'm not saying that this is definately the case, but it is very possible.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:58 PM   #117

i think im gonna go for the sunpak, dishing out hundreds for lenses has left me empty, the 5600HSD is too much, and i want to be able to adjust the head for bounce flash, which the SUnpak 333 can do right? i found a few auctions for them on ebay, but i cant find the hotshoe adapter for my 5D, anyone know where to find these adapters?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:11 PM   #118
Administrator

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
i think im gonna go for the sunpak, dishing out hundreds for lenses has left me empty, the 5600HSD is too much, and i want to be able to adjust the head for bounce flash, which the SUnpak 333 can do right? i found a few auctions for them on ebay, but i cant find the hotshoe adapter for my 5D, anyone know where to find these adapters?
Yes, the Sunpak 333 has tilt and swivel. It also has a zoom head (manual).

You should be able to pick one up for around $10 if you are a patient shopper. I got one that appeared to be brand new (still in the box, including the manual, with no signs of ever being used) from B&H for $25 (listed in 10 condition in their used department).

The Sunpak 383 Super is a newer model that you may want to look at (under $100 brand new). In a handle mount flash, the Sunpak 544 would be a good choice (around $129 brand new), but you'd need an adapter to give your 5D a PC Sync port to use it.

Adorama carries the FS1100 (gives you an ISO standard hotshoe, but doesn't have a PC Sync Port). The Sunpak 333 can work either way (hotshoe or PC Sync Port).

http://www.adorama.com/MNFS1100.html...&item_no=1

You'd need to go Ebay to find the adapter I'm using (and I can't find any current listings for one), as Nick (a.k.a., Digital Initiatives) is sold out now (mine was $16 delivered when he had them in stock, giving me both an ISO standard hotshoe and a PC Sync Port):

http://www.pbase.com/digital_initiat...5169818/medium

P.S. -- My Sunpak 333 tests at around 8 volts with NiMH Batteries in it. This is higher than the 6 volt recommendation from some manufacturers (KM has never published specs for trigger voltage limits). I'm comfortable with this trigger voltage being acceptable. But, others may not be. The newer Sunpak models have lower trigger voltages.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 5:41 PM   #119

Also look for the Sunpak 422, 433 or 444. They are basically the same as the 383, but are tailormade to work with the TTL systems of different brands (for example I have the 433D dedicated to Minolta x-series SLR's), rather than being just manual. While there isn't any dedicated to the Maxxum SLR's or DSLR's, the manual functions and the auto thyristor work the same as on the 383, butthe 422, 433, and 444generally go for less on ebay. Try to win this auction:http://cgi.ebay.com/SUNPAK-422D-422-...QQcmdZViewItem, or this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunpak-auto-433-...QQcmdZViewItem, or here is a "Buy It Now" for $39: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SUNPAK-Auto-...QQcmdZViewItem. Good luck!

:-)
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:56 AM   #120

I know this has been tremendously overworked but here is my latest observation. Without any adjustments by Sigma my new EF 500 Super DG works well on the 5D in any directional configuration in wireless. Since I have a bracket that converts the flash to a potato masher style and like this approach,wirelesslooks like a nearly universal solution to the exposure problems for me.

The FP solution touted by Sigma appears to only work in straight on configuration and aperature priorityand then possibly only when shutter speed is above the normal synch speed i.e. when FP/HSS is actually invoked.
rpenmanparker is offline   Reply With Quote