Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 4, 2006, 11:40 AM   #121

Interesting. I no longer have the Sigma to try it. But I can hardly imagine whythe wireless setupwould work when there is no TTL communication taking place via the hotshoe.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 1:25 PM   #122

I have learned a little more about the wireless fix for misbehaving Sigma EF 500 DG Super flash on Minolta 5D. Setting the camera to wireless (which sets the flash to wireless when it is placed on the hot shoe) gives good flash results no matter whether you leavethe flash on the hot shoe or take it off. When on the hot shoe, obviously the communication is electronic through the shoe and the pop-up flash is down and off. When off the hot shoe, the communication is by light flashes from the raised pop-up flash. Need to have the wireless setting on the flash toggled to FP for best results. Seems to work well in all modes but AUTO. AUTO works but keeps resetting to default settings, so is a pain. Not all exposures via the various modes match perfectly, but you don't expect them to due to differences in ambient lighting influence, color due to bouncing, etc. All were acceptable.

I compared exposures with a 50 mm 1.7 lens and a 50 mm setting on a 3.5-5.6 zoom at the minimum available 5.6 to fool the program mode into using different aperatures. Over this 3 stop range, the exposures were identical indicating that the flash is getting a reading from the camera and obeying it. Makes no difference with these "D" lenses whether I use the ADI setting or the pre-TTL. Exposures were basically the same.

I was surprised to find that when my camera battery got very low, the exposures from the off camera flash became unreliable, most over exposed. I think because the pop-up flash was not operating properly. Fully charged battery returned the fix to fully operational!
rpenmanparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 1:38 PM   #123

Thanks for the info. I think, however, I am going to wait until they have a flash that works the way it is supposed to. Meanwhile I stick with my Sunpak 433D.

Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:37 PM   #124

Ok here is my story of using 5D and EF500 DG Super (MA-ADI) flash. Just received it this morning. I started to do some test pictures and the camera was set to P and flash was default in TTL. I have used ADI - kit lens. The flash was contantly firing full power ...overexposing to full white picture...not good....then I turn "FP"(HSS)ON so theflash wasin FP mode. nowI got consistent results of underexpesing about-1EV. Not bad I thought...and I took about 100 different pictures with flash compensated to +1EV....they look good evenat different focal lengths. But when I started to test bounce flash ...problem again..."FP" mode (which was the onlymode to get "good" pictures) is not available in bounce (swivel /tilt) position...and again big time over exposure.

I called tech support at Sigmaand explain them my experience and they acknowledged that with Maxxum 5Dyou have to use "FP" mode on the flash to get Ok results and they strongly recomended to use flash compensation to adjust the picture...(I found out that my self). But then I told them about bounce problem, they also acknowledged that if you tilt/swivel the flash head, the flash turns OFF the "FP" mode and uses regular TTL mode in which it overexposes everything. They said that they do not have solution for that at the moment...And they said that they are fully aware of the fact that they have some compatibility issues with Maxxum 5D and 7D cameras...

Well I think my flash is going back to B&H.....
Steve101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 4:52 PM   #125

Your experiences are almost the same as mine. If they are aware of compatibility issues why are they advertising it as compatible? I really got a beef with that.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 5:38 PM   #126

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Your experiences are almost the same as mine. If they are aware of compatibility issues why are they advertising it as compatible? I really got a beef with that.
Some complain of the 5600 and 7D problems too.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 5:42 PM   #127

cope wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:

I doubt that the problems are anywhere near the ones with the Sigma. From my experience there is NO communication between the flash and the camera and the flash ALWAYS fires at the same power,and either under or overexposes, depending on the the setting.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 6:03 PM   #128

Sigma EF500 DG Super on 5D update:

I must say that as a straight on flash with "FP" enabled that Sigma is very consistent with -1EV exposures....I can go to Aperture priority mode and play with aperture from 5.6 to 22 and I get same exposure with the flash compensated to +1EV. As for the bounce flash I found that you have to set the camera to wireless which also puts flash in to wireless and then it works....nicely....it is the same think as rpenmanparkerdescribed previously. Wether flash on shoe or not wireless mode just works...But I preffer to haveit indirect flash position and "FP" ON because you can see the flash gange on the display....I useon-shoe bounce flash in wireless mode to get good results....

I guess it is possible to get this flash working....and definitely this flash has some potential...though it lacks the proper firmware for the right controlls...and if one decides to buy this flash then expect some tunning-up....

May be one day I will get pissed off and actually take the Sigma flash appart and scan the communicationwith logic analyzer and see what is going on there....

Old Jun 8, 2006, 6:12 PM   #129

rduve wrote:
Quote:
cope wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:

I doubt that the problems are anywhere near the ones with the Sigma. From my experience there is NO communication between the flash and the camera and the flash ALWAYS fires at the same power,and either under or overexposes, depending on the the setting.
True, mine under-exposed on bouce setting. I haven't used the 5600 enough to know if it is working 100%, but it doesn't under or over-expose on bounce.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 6:24 PM   #130

Picture from my 5D with Sigma flash in "FP" mode direct flash no compensation.
Attached Images