Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 8, 2006, 5:25 PM   #131

Picture from my 5D with Sigma flash in "FP" mode direct flash +1EV flash compensation.
Attached Images

Steve101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 5:26 PM   #132

More picturs from my 5D with Sigma flash in "FP" mode direct flash +1EV flash
Attached Images

Old Jun 8, 2006, 5:26 PM   #133

More picturs from my 5D with Sigma flash in "FP" mode direct flash +1EV flash
Attached Images

Old Jun 8, 2006, 6:36 PM   #134

Rduve, did you plugged your 433 directly to the FZ30? There seems to be some pins on the flash that will be shorting out.

Roy
royco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 7:41 PM   #135

Yes, the Sunpak works fine on the FZ30. Nothing shorted.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 7:47 PM   #136

Steve, those shots all look good at that setting. However, they are all at a similar distance, seems like 3-6 ft or so unless you zoomed in. Have you tried the setting at varying distances? To me it just appeared that the Sigma flash would not at all compensate for distances, but always fire at the same power. Too bright at the direct flash setting and too dark at the FP setting. There was, however, one distance where the exposure happened to be right. Post some shots at, let's say 15 ft, with the same setting (FP, +1 EV). I have a feeling they'll be too dark since the flash will emit the same power as it does at 6 ft. Curious....
Old Jun 26, 2006, 5:33 PM   #137

After some very mixed results with the EF-500 DG Super and my 5D (with some shots completely underexposed and unusable)I finally realised that the flash simply does not like Auto mode or any of the presets. I've no idea whether this is the same withother flash makes but as soon as I switch to P, A orS on the 5D then I get great results. Now I'm getting some nicely exposed shots using TTL and bounce (will try ADI with a D lens later).

Incidentaly the serial number on my unit starts with an 8 so perhaps Sigma have solved some of the earlier issues in these later models.
dmaudsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 7:07 PM   #138

I never use Auto. My Sigma would not work with Program mode. I don't know what Serial number it had, but it was not compatible. No communication between flash and camera took place, from what I could see, other than the firing trigger.

Rainer
Old Dec 21, 2006, 1:11 PM   #139

Sigma will replace the firmware in earlier versions of the EF-500 Super to make them fully compatible with the 5D.I sent a M-ADI model (serial beginning with 702 vs. latest model beginning with 900) to them and got fast, cheereful service. I just received my flash back from them and am quite satisfied. There are some differences in exposure between direct on and bounce but these are well within the EV adjust range. I suspect such small differences were always present in older flash models on film cameras but were obscured by the film and paper latitude and the delay in seeing the results. Also very important is that the camera and flash functions are now much better coordinated implying the new programming is really based on the 5D characteristics. Don't forget that ADI flash exposure mode is not suitable when using neutral density filters, diffusers, or bounce as it assumes (at least for part of the calculation) that the subject to camera distance is the same as the subject to flash pathway. Also assumes thatthere are no absorptions of the light occuring between the flash and subject and subject and camera.
rpenmanparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:52 AM   #140

I too have a Sigma tale. I recently bought 2 EF supers (SO-ADI) that were very consistant in exposure on my 7D, but consistant at 2 stops under when on the Camera and 2 stops over when in wirelss mode. Within the adjustment range, but with nothing left to intentionally reduce the flash in mixed light so I took them both back to Sigma UK.

They were very helpful and fixed the on-camera result perfectly... but, you guessed it, wireless was then off the dial! They said they would contact Japan for help and get back to me. That was over a month ago but I am not chasing as the 7D has got sick and is at the repairers. I have asked them to check the flash calibration on the camera as I have seen reports of this being off!

More when (if :sad I get the 7D back and working.
cclondon is offline   Reply With Quote