Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:04 PM   #41

Sorry, I had an appointment this afternoon that lasted all day.

I just got the Sigma flash this last week. I got the new "super" version of the EF 500 DG. I bought it from Cameta just like you from Ebay for ~$160. I'm using a KM 7d with firmware 1.10u . As of right now, I have only Minolta brand glass. Mostly older stuff, it feels like it's better constructed, those composite mounts seem a bit scary. I don't buy top end lenses mainly because I let my kids use my photo equipment. It gets them involved in my hobby and they do surprisingly well. This is one of the reasons I went for the 7d, the body is all metal and more likely to survive a fall. (I've already lost 3 cameras to this) The other is simple, it fit my hands better. When the prices fell after christmas, there wasn't enough price difference to influence me towards the 5d, though it is probably a betterall around product.

I have used other flashes on older cameras, always Minolta manual focus (until just before christmas 05 when I bought a Maxxum 7000 for the attached lens). Just like Jim, I had about half a dozen lenses before I actually bought the camera. I knew I was getting either the 5d or 7d (especially after handling the Canon rebel digital, how unimpressive). The last flash I used on the X series cameras was a Vivitar, I believe. On those it didn't matter much whose flash you used, they all fired at full power every shot. You changed the aperture or shutter speed to get the exposure you wanted. (sometimes you even held part of your hand over the flash or diffused it with paper, LOL)

Anyhow, I still suspect Aperture on my 35-70 lens. I don't doubt that there are conditions where the flash can fire at the wrong level, but the shots I have don't really convey that to me. I will try to figure out how to post some pictures tonight, but I just got home and need to spend some time with the kids before bed. :G

Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:00 PM   #42

Ok, a couple of things... I have good news- at least for me. If I use HSS (FP TTL mode on the flash) and set the flash exposure on the left lower dial on the camera to +1, I get good exposure throughout the flash range(in feet)on the 7d with the 50mm 1.7 lens mounted. I will try the 35-70 lens next with the same settings and report. I have only one overexposed frame in all the flash shooting I've done this week, I'd say about 300 frames. I can accept that margin of error, especially since I don't have to develop before I decide what to keep. I'll keep you posted.

I still haven't figured out how to shrink the file size and still send the entire shot for comparison. I may need a little guidance.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:30 AM   #43

Thanks for your feedback, Mercury. I could not try your suggestion since I sent my flash off to Sigma today. Do you get the same dramatic overexposure in regular TTL mode?

To resize a picture can use most imaging software like Photoshop of theMicrosoft Office Picture Manager. They all have a resize option. I have it set up where I right-click on an image and one of the option is resizing it. But it depends on which imaging software you have.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 6:55 AM   #44
Administrator

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
I still haven't figured out how to shrink the file size and still send the entire shot for comparison. I may need a little guidance.
You'll need to downsize the images to around 700 pixels wide so that they aren't too big to be viewed easily here. I usually make mine around 720 pixels wide so that users with lower display resolutions don't need to scroll right and left to see the entire image.

You'll also need to make sure the file size is small enough (no more than around 240KB).

One editor you can use for this purpose is Irfanview (it's free).

Open an image with it and go to the "Resize/Resample" menu choice. Downsize it to about 700 pixels wide using any of the algorithms available. Use the same options I've got checked here (set new size, preserve aspect ratio), and you'll be fine with it. If you enter 700 pixels on the left side, it will automatically enter the right number of pixels for the other side. I typically use Lanczos for reszing.

Then, go to the File, Save As menu choice, give it a new name and set the JPEG quality slider to around 85% (that will make sure it's a small enough file size to post here). Make sure the retain original EXIF check box remains checked (it will be by default) if you want others to see the camera settings used. If you don't, uncheck the box.

When you are making a new post in this thread, you'll see a browse button to attach the saved image.

Attached Image (viewed 66 times):

[img]attachment.php?id=55372[/img]

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:08 AM   #45

Here is a slightly underexposed elmo..
Attached Images

Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:11 AM   #46

Here he is, with better exposure..
Attached Images

Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:26 AM   #47

ok, here's elmo...with the 50mm lens and the flash at +0. just a bit underexposed. Please keep in mind that my original uncontrolled shots were darker but I can't really use them as tests because the ranges were different and I was trying to bounce off the cieling at that time for some shots.
Attached Images

Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:29 AM   #48

Here he is at flash +1/2. I actually like the +1/2 setting better in full size than the +1.
Attached Images

Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:30 AM   #49

Elmo, flash +1
Attached Images

Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:32 AM   #50

elmo, flash + 1.5
Attached Images