Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:36 AM   #51

ok, elmo again- this is a bounce test. I have cathedral ceiling in this room so I used the fancy (read cheap) sigma flash bounce reflector attached to the unit. As you can see, it works splendid...
Attached Images

Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:44 AM   #52

All images have no correction. I just resized them using Irfranview (thank you, Jim- nice little applet) . All of these are with the camera set to full auto (the green [P] on the right dial ), autofocus, 50mm 1.7 lens, awb. These were all taken with the flash set to TTL (FP), and really only the bounce flash tests were beyond software correction. I only changed the lower left flash compensation dial. I did no such test with the bounce, perhaps I could go to +2 flash compensation with the reflector...
Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:52 AM   #53

ok, here is one of the shots from before. It's with the 35-70 f4 lens mounted, camera at auto, flast at TTL auto
Attached Images

Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:56 AM   #54
Administrator

If it were mine, I'd do the same thing rduve just did (box it up and send it back to Sigma). ;-)

I'd give 'em a yell, explain the problem and see what they say about sending it in. I'd even include some samples so that they know what's happening with it.

With a little luck, they've got newer firmware that improves exposure accuracy/consistency (or can adjust some of the internal parameters for use with a KM DSLR).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:56 AM   #55

ok, one last. This is with the camera set to auto, the flash on whatever the default setting is when it is fired remote. ( Can't remember, lol) I was very happy with the flash when it was not mounted on the camera.
Attached Images

Old Mar 11, 2006, 8:02 AM   #56
Administrator

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
ok, one last. This is with the camera set to auto, the flash on whatever the default setting is when it is fired remote. ( Can't remember, lol) I was very happy with the flash when it was not mounted on the camera.
Yea... But, if it only works at certain ranges from subjects, with certain lenses, in certain modes, or off camera only, that doesn't sound very compatible to me. I wouldn't put up with it personally.

I'd either try to get a refund from my vendor and go with another product, or send it back to Sigma and see if they can get it working the way it should work.

They're probably aware of the issues by now. So, they may have a fix for it.

Old Mar 11, 2006, 8:08 AM   #57

I may send it in for firmware if there is any.I'll probably see what rduve has to say when he gets his back.

It's not producing bad results at +1/2 to +1 compensation, but these are controlled tests- my subject is static, light is consistent, and I'm using a tripod. If the situation was more fluid, I don't know what results I'd see. I only sent in shots from one range, but I did take longer range shots- the results were about the same. I haven't even tried any type of creative light or composure.

At the very least, my familiarity with the camera is growing by leaps.

On your last point, I agree. But if I only have to set it to +1 for any lens, I may put up with that. It is just 2 clicks on one dial when I mount the flash. From what I hear though, the flash issues span through all flashes, not just this one. It may be more likely that the camera firmware is a bit off, but I doubt KM will offer new firmware.

The last 2 shots were not shot last night. The dark one was one for your reference from the first night, I sent that because my slightly underexposed elmo shot at the top didn't really reflect how poorly the flash was operating at auto. I thought this one was a better example.

The dinosaur I posted to show that the flash seems to meter light correctly when it is not mounted. It could be a lfuke, but I have 20 shots of that dino with the flash off, and the flash performed well on all of them.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 8:26 AM   #58
Administrator

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
From what I hear though, the flash issues span through all flashes, not just this one. It may be more likely that the camera firmware is a bit off, but I doubt KM will offer new firmware.
Well, some users report good results after KM calibrated their flash units (and some users report good results without any recalibration).

They should be a lot better than the images in some of your samples (especially with the 35-70mm f/4).

So, if KM can get their units to work OK without changing anything in the camera, then Sigma should be able to do the same thing by reverse engineering the way the camera and flash talk to each other.

Again, from what I understand, the issue with KM flash units is related to the strength of the preflash, and KM can adjust a "curve" in their flash units to help correct exposure issues when they're used on a KM DSLR.

Sigma tends to have more problems with their products as far as compatibility with KM DSLR models (lenses and flashes), and sometimes lenses need rechipping to work, too. My guess is that it's due to things in the protocol that KM didn't start to use until after Sigma reverse engineered it (probably by looking at the way products communicated with older KM models).

Old Mar 11, 2006, 3:11 PM   #59

I've used the Sunpak 422D and a Metz 32Z. They both work well but I'm leanimg towards the Metz. I got it off Ebay for $31 new and got a Metz 3302 adapter for $5 which mounts the flash with no need for the FS1100. I don't shoot much flash so this low cost does it for me. No lazy eye and and cheap. I shoot RAW so I can adjust WB exposure easily and worry less about settings than with JPEG. I haven't shot any since Xmas.

nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 3:29 PM   #60
Administrator

That's really nice lighting in that one for a flash photo.

Yep.. I almost bought a 32z myself a while back, as a lot of people seem to think the quality of light is better from the Metz units and you can find them at bargain prices.

If I ever need a better flash, I may take a look at some again (although I'm not sure I want to go to the expense of a 54MZ3 or 4.

It's also my understanding that the next unit up (40MZ3) is aware of camera settings with the newer SCA 3302M5 or M6 adapter using it's auto mode. You wouldn't have HSS, but it would be a way to get more automated operation without "breaking the bank", since you sometimes see these at reasonable prices used.

But, I don't use a flash much anyway. So, the two cheap Sunpaks I've got will probably do for me if I need a flash for something. I do need to get some diffusers of some type for 'em

I've got an old Vivitar with the optional "Soft Light/Bounce Diffuser" kit. It's the type with a white card above the flash to diffuse the light. It works great. But, I'd rather have a diffuser that's not as bulky (and my Vivitar's trigger voltage is too high for the 5D anyway).

So, I'll probably shop around and look at some of the popular ones that would work with my cheap Sunpaks.