Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:34 PM   #61

Hey Jim. That shot was with the Omnibounce which I use on both flashes. Nice light and no shadows. Also you can shoot non-direct and not be effected by colored walls/ceilings.:|

nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:41 PM   #62
Administrator

Thanks, it seems to work quite well.

I just hate to spend more on the diffusers than I spent on the flashes (at least compared to my $7 Sunpak 222 anyway). :-)

But, I'll probably break down and get some soon.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:43 PM   #63

Ok, just ran a quick set of tests with the 35-70 f4 and 70-210 f3.5-4.5 on my 7d. I only tested with the camera's flash compensation set to +1 and the flash set to TTL (FP) . All 50 frames are well exposed. I even ran a few at the long end of the 210 lens and they show good exposure. I am starting to feel quite a bit better about the flash. I also realized that I don't have to mess with either the flash control (it remembers the last setting) or the camera's flash compensation every time I use the flash. So, except when I use the built in flash I won't have to change any settings.

After reading the flash literature, it does say to use only the TTL (FP) mode on the KM 7d. No reference is made to the 5d, but I'd assume the same to be true.

One other thing, I have the Sandisk Ultra3 card and it writes very fast. I ran 35 continuous shots and the buffer never got below 5. It didn't appear that it was ever going to. In fact the only time it slowed down was when my son moved in frame and the focus adjusted.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:47 PM   #64

Great Shot, Nooner. I just tested the bounce flash on my FZ30 and it comes out great. I just have to play a little with the aperture. If my Sigma flash won't be working perfectly without having to worry about aperture settings, I'll return and just stick with the Sunpak on my KM5D. I already order the adapter. Thanks for all your input, everyone. I have not had a chance to study all your contributions.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:18 PM   #65

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
After reading the flash literature, it does say to use only the TTL (FP) mode on the KM 7d. No reference is made to the 5d, but I'd assume the same to be true.

Sigma did send me a litttle sheet mentioning to use the FP mode for the 5D as well as the 7D. Since I just returned it to them, I can't test your setting. I will do it when I get it back. I just figured that my exposures were so dramatically off that it was unacceptable.

I just took a flash shot with my Sunpak 433 on my Panasonic FZ30. I am just now really figuring it out since I am going through all this trouble of experimenting with flashes. After getting familiarized with it, setting the correct aperture becomes almost intuitive. This one was shot with the Omnibounce attachment. Nice skin tone I find. Although my baby boy, Tate, looks a little perturbed.
Attached Images

Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:22 PM   #66

Here is the letter I sent to Sigma. Let's see how their service is...

Re: Sigma EF-500 DF Super, Serial #7023226

Dear Mr. Sato,

I just received the enclosed flash from the ebay vendor cameta auctions. It was already an exchange for another unit which I purchasedon February 21[suP]st[/suP] 2006. The previous unit had been producing images which were severely underexposed, especially in bounce flash. I am using the flash on my Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D by the way, with which the Sigma EF-500 Super is supposed to be compatible.

When I received the replacement I noticed that now the bounced flash images were better exposed, but the direct flash shots were terribly, terribly overexposed. It almost seems like the flash is shooting at full power regardless of setting. I have followed the instructions to the letter and set the camera up to fill-flash, ADI in P mode as instructed. I am using a D type lens. I also compared the results to a genuine Minolta 360HS flash and the Minolta flash's exposure was right on. I also tried another camera and got the same terrible results with the Sigma flash. I also tried shots taken in FP mode because your tech support recommended it. Those came out way too dark. The TTL icon by the way is not blinking after taking the shot in regular TTL mode, but is blinking when in FP mode.

I am enclosing a disc containing some test shots. Those named "bounce" were taken in bounce flash mode, "FP" in FP mode, and obviously "Direct" in Direct flash mode. Just one shot is usable since it happens to be shot off the ceiling at a distance at which exposure happened to be accurate. All the other shots are either way too dark or way too bright.

I need you to fix the flash so it works as it is supposed to on my camera or exchange it with a unit that works. I am enclosing a copy of the warranty card and receipt from the ebay auction. I am not enclosing the original warranty card because the vendor will not accepta return after the flash has been sent in for repair. I don't want to take a chance of being stuck with a non-functional flash. Since this is the second defective unit in a row, I am sure you understand my frustration.

I appreciate your help in getting this matter resolved swiftly and my flash repaired or replaced in a thorough and satisfactory manner.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Rainer Duvé

Old Mar 14, 2006, 3:19 PM   #67

So, Sigma said they adjusted and tested the flash on a KM5D and that they'll send it back out tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of the week. Will let you know the results.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 8:46 PM   #68

Good luck:|
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:08 PM   #69

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Good luck:|

Nooner, did I sense any sarcasm in this? I am frankly not too hopeful that they got it right....
Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:16 PM   #70
Administrator

Well, trying to be optimistic, it sounds like they've actually got a 5D to calibrate the flash to. That's a good thing. ;-)

So, perhaps there's more to calibrating one than a simple firmware upgrade, and they can "fine tune" it to a given camera body. If so, then you should be in pretty good shape when you get it back.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote