Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 18, 2006, 7:40 PM   #81

nooner wrote:
Quote:
That's a drag. I think if you want TTL, wireless etc. the Metz 54 is the only way to go. Too pricey for me so I'll stick with the Metz 32Z and Sunpak 433D.:|

Actually the TTL mode seemed to work fine with the genuine Minolta flashes I tested. But at this time, I am tired of spending more money. The Sunpak will just do fine.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 7:59 PM   #82

Just as Jim said, mine works pretty well using TTL (FP) mode. Too bad you couldn't get one that works as it should. I don't know if I got lucky or if there is a difference in camera models that makes the difference. ( It wouldn't seem so but who knows?) It is not inspiring to see Sigma fail to correct the issue for you.

At any rate, I hope your solution fits your needs well.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 8:39 PM   #83

After reading Mercury's post, I just remembered I was going to check his settings after receiving the flash back. So, I tried the +1 exposure correction (not in FP, but regular mode) and the results are actually pretty decent. However, bounce flash is still unusable, which should not be the case with true TTL metering, and was not the case with the Minolta 5600 that I tried. So, I still have to do too much manual figure figure, and if I spend $160 I need a little more advantage overmy old Sunpak. With a little manual adjustments I get it to work at least as well. So, I think I am still going to return the Sigma although bringing the exposure up by +1.0 certainly helped.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 8:56 PM   #84

Reviewing the pictures, it seems that the flash always seems to fire with the same power. While the shots at about 8 ft. distance come out perfectly with +1.0 eposure correction, anything closer is a little bright and anything further is a little dark. I don't think any TTL metering is taking place whatsoever. And I kind of get the same impression from your shots, Mercury. Can you shoot a picture from a 20 ft+ distance for me? I wonder how it comes out. Here are some samples of what I am talking about, all taken in P mode and ADI flash mode with the Minolta 18-70 kit lens.

This is at about 8ft.

Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2006, 8:57 PM   #85

also about 8ft
Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2006, 8:58 PM   #86

This is from about4 ft.
Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2006, 9:00 PM   #87

...and this from about 15 ft.

Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2006, 9:06 PM   #88

and here is a bounce flash shot from only about 6 ft away. Doesn't it seem that the flash always fires with the same power? And instead of fixing the TTL metering, Sigma just reduced the firing power when they adjusted it. And they reduced it too much to where I now have to adjust the exposure by 1 step in order to get decent flash power for an object at medium distance. But the my Auto Thyristor in the Sunpak does a much better job in measuring and throttling flash exposure. Can youpost a few shots at different distances, Mercury?

Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2006, 9:12 PM   #89

oh, one more curious thing. Exif data reveals that every single shot is taken at 1/125 5.6. Would that not vary if true TTL metering was taking place?
Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:29 AM   #90

Hi,

I have the opportunity to compare the Sigma and the Minilta 5600 flashes. I have both.

I must say I like the Minolta - much better.

I wrote a small reply a few months ago comparing them. While sometimes the Sigma was better exposed, the Minolta was getting more consistent near perfect exposures than the Sigma. I must use FP mode for the Sigma - otherwise I get overexposure.

HS (High Speed) flash works better than slow sync speeds with my Sigma also.

Bounce also works well on the Sigma - it the direct flash which you should avoid. it's something you want to do anyways to get good pictures.

I don't get the overexposure as reported.=, by using bounce or HS.

Bob

bsteaves is offline   Reply With Quote