Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:32 PM   #1

Hello to all, nice to meet all of you, I love this forum, but only my problem is that my englis is horribol.

Today I recived my dynax 7d from topvision. I charged the battery about 100 min to 150(like the manual says). Then I switch on the camera and set the date and hour, I accept and surf on the menu .... and by it´s self ( the camera) switches off, and if I press the shot button of the camera(sometimes) it switches on and ask me again to set on the date and hour. I take off the memory card to try again, and happens the same. Any idea please ?

I´m really sad, because I pay alot and wait ... and then happens this.

Thx to all.
valetudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:13 PM   #2
Administrator

valetudo wrote:
Quote:
I charged the battery about 100 min to 150(like the manual says).
Charge it until the light on the charger turns off.

It sounds like it's probably a battery issue and a brand new battery may need to be cycled a few times (fully charge, use, fully charge) before they're working at their peak.

Are you sure it was actually charging (light on charger lit)?

That long should have given enough charge to work, unless it wasn't making a good connection in the charger. The battery may not have been seated properly while charging.

I'd charge it until the light turns off on the charger (it will be on when charging and turn off when it's finished charging).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 1:55 AM   #3

Hi JimC, Thank you for your response. I charged the battery until the light charger turns off. I´m sure it was charging... the light was on and about 130 min after it turned off.

Thank again.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 8:16 AM   #4
Administrator

I don't know what it would be then.

Guesses:

* Try reseating the lens to make sure it's not a bad connection at lens contacts.

* Leave the battery in the camera for a little while before trying to do anything with it.

Some models (and I don't know about the 7D) have a small, rechargeable battery inside that maintains the date/time and other settings, and you need to let the main battery stay in the camera long enough for it to charge up. Some have a capacitor for this same purpose.

* If that doesn't work, try using the menu choice in Setup to Reset everything back to factory defaults (this is different than another reset choice you'll find, which is only for custom settings). Scroll down to the last image on this page, and you'll see a menu choice for Reset Default

Review Page with Setup Menu Options

* Use all dials, switches and buttons on the camera to make sure it's not just something simple like a switch contact that's not making a good connection yet.

Old Feb 24, 2006, 8:52 AM   #5

agree with jimc

DO A FACTORY RESET

then:

?grey market?

?battery contacts slightly oxidized?

?power save settings?

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:16 AM   #6
Administrator

If you've got a another memory card, try it, too. It's possible that one is bad in a way that it's shorting out something in the camera.

Ditto for the battery. Try another one if you have one available and as bernabeu mentioned, make sure the contacts don't have a bit of oxidation on them. Wipe them off good with a t-shirt (or even rub them on your pants leg good) if nothing else. I rub battery contacts on a jeans leg sometimes before charging my batteries. ;-)

I just used a q-tip with a touch of alcohol on it to clean the battery contacts in my Maxxum 5D not long ago (tips of the square contacts in the batttery compartment) to make sure they weren't causing a problem I was having with camera lockup after the first photo after it was left sitting for a few days.

I also cleaned the lens contacts (camera and lenses) using nothing more than an old t-shirt with a touch of alcohol. It hasn't locked up since then.

You can also get specialized contact cleaning solutions for this purpose. For example, Radio Shack has a contact cleaner "pen". It has a wick at the top with specialized cleaning soluton in the pen that is designed to clean contacts without leaving a residue.

With a brand new camera, you could have a bit of oxidation (or a coating to help prevent oxidation) preventing a good connection somewhere, since it's not broken in well yet from inserting and replacing the battery, using switches, dials, etc.

Hopefully, it's something very simple and you won't need to send it in for repair or replacement.

Let us know how it works out.

Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:32 AM   #7

Another problem that is rare but possible is a bent pin or pins in the memory slot. Remove the memory card and shine a light in the slot. If any pins are bent you could try to straighten them (very carefully), but i think I would just return the camera for replacement.
djwittmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 1:12 PM   #8

Thank to all, but I spoke with sales department of topvision and toll me that I have to send it. I just sent it. Now I have to wait. Thank again people.