Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:00 PM   #11

I have 3-F4 and 2-F3.5-4.5 and there are some differences between samples. With the current market I'll probably sell off a fewwhen Sony finally comes clean about new lens and I get a look at the Tamron 17-70.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:19 PM   #12
Administrator

I wish I would have bought a few more lenses when I was buying some before the 5D started shipping.

They sure would have been a pretty good investment reselling 'em on Ebay lately, the way prices have gone up. LOL

But, prices will probably settle back down a bit now that stores are running out of stock of KM DSLR models (at least until Sony starts shipping DSLR models).

You never know though. I was reading a recent post about a 100mm f/2 with dust in it and scratches on it going for $547 on Ebay (and only paid only $299 for one in great condition from Adorama before the 5D was shipping).

You saw 70-210mm f/4's selling for under $100 all day long at the time, too (as well as under $50.00 50mm f/1.7s, etc.). You still see a few at bargain prices popping up, but most have gone up a lot lately -- perhaps settling of a bit now.

If we keep seeing more newer lens designs in KM mount, that may help the used market for older lenses, too. I'm hoping we'll see a new line of lenses with SSM in them from Sony. Canon puts USM in almost everything anymore, and SSM lenses in Maxxum mount would be good for future Sony DSLR sales.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 1:28 AM   #13

Jim,
what you describe here, is only natural. Probably the Ebay prices for used lenses were even lower, before the KM 7D was announced. At that time it clear that there was no future for analog SLRs anymore and many Minolta users had to switch to other brands. Thus there was a huge overhang for Minolta lenses. When the KM 7D came to market, there was suddenly a new future for these lenses. On the other hand, the KM 7D was simply too expensive for a DSLR with a 6 MP sensor. Then with the arrival of the KM 5D Konica Minolta had a very competitive product and that finally drove up the prices for old Minolta AF lenses. Finally, after KM announced the end of their camera business, dealers were eager to clear their KM inventories. Consequently the prices, especially for the KM 7D, went south and the sales went up. Now the many new KM 5D/7D owners (I am one of them), are looking for lenses. Because these new owners are more price sensitive than the older ones, they ,are lifting the Ebay prices considerably. Though I didn't follow the Ebay prices for Minolta lenses before I received my KM 7D, the price development is only natural. Fortunately, now old Minolta analog SLR owners should realise more and more the nice prices for their lenses. That should help to stabilise the lense prices. However, there may be a further leap up in prices, if Sony comes to market with some competitively priced, exciting new models.
There was a similar development for old Canon inkjet printers, when Canon announced that their future inkjet printers require cartridges protected by a chip. Consequently the price for their old mass market model, the Canon IP3000, more than doubled within a few months.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 7:20 AM   #14
Administrator

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
Then with the arrival of the KM 5D Konica Minolta had a very competitive product and that finally drove up the prices for old Minolta AF lenses.
That's why I started buying Minolta lenses, even before I was sure I was going to get a KM 5D, and before it was even shipping. I figured they would go up in price, and I wanted to make sure I got mine *before* the feeding frenzy started.

I just wish I had bought more lenses at dirt cheap prices. :-)

KM had an initial production of 50,000 cameras per month for the 5D, too (I don't know what total production numbers ended up being though). So, you've got a lot of new KM DSLR owners looking for lenses.

Someone on another forum had the best title for KM's actions I've seen. It really "hit home":

"KM Gets It Right, then Quits"

It's a shame that they were so late to the party and didn't have more time to turn the company's financials around, especially given how nice this little camera is compared to other models in it's market niche.

Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:16 AM   #15

It was a very smart strategy to buy lenses that early, but I think that hardly anybody buys lenses earlier than the camera. I immediately started to look for lenses on Ebay after my KM 7D order was confirmed. The prices for old quality lenses are simply outrageous now (your beloved 2|28 mm lense was selling for almost 300€). On the other hand my 30 year old high quality Rokkor lenses (I own a 1.7|85 mm, a 1.4|50 mm and other nice original Minolta lenses) for the legendary Minolta SR-T 101 are virtually worthless. Thus I settled for a junk zoom, for which there was a special opportunity. Some months ago Tamron discontinued their 28-200 mm XR IF zoom and replaced by a virtually identical Di lense. They then dumped the inventory of the old lenses through private sellers as used lenses without warranty on Ebay for 60-70 €, but you actually get an absolutely new lense. That should be compared with the prices for the 18-200 ultra zoom, which are digital only, but nevertheless somewhat heavier. The original KM 18-200 lense is not available for less than 400€ and similar lenses from Sigma and Tamron sell for about 300€. In all tests these lenses are rated as ultra junk lenses. Now on http://www.photozone.de my 28-200 junk zoom got a poor rating on both ends when wide open and an ok rating on both ends when stopped down. That's about the best rating for an ultra zoom. My personal rating is somewhat different. I made about 300 test shots at good day light with iso 200. Thus I had always at least f 5.6 or even f 8. Between 28-140 the image quality was quite fine and close to the resolution of the sensor. The difference between raw and jpeg isperhaps much more significant than between the Minolta 28-70G and this junk lense. However, at 200 mm - the anti shake works still very well - there is substantial softness in the corners, which may not be eye catching for most people but I am very sensitive for it. Thus I cannot confirm the test results, which show equal performance at 28 mm and 200 mm. All these test results indicate much larger differences than there are reality. After all the KM 5D/7D cameras have only a 6 MP sensor and the sensor has to blur the incoming light slightly to avoid ugly aliasing. In my personal opinion these reviews are hypocritical. Lense differences may become more important with higher resolution, though.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:58 AM   #16
Administrator

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
In my personal opinion these reviews are hypocritical. Lense differences may become more important with higher resolution, though.
Not just higher resolution (as I think a 6MP sensor can outresolve many lenses), but at larger print sizes differences can be more obvious, too (but, how often are you going to print at large sizes).

That was the main point I was trying to make in this thread, since the OP in this thread mentioned that his existing lens worked great on his 5D. But, after he asked about it in another thread, I let him know how it ranked on MTF tests.

So, when he started lens shopping for lenses that would be so similar in quality (probably because I mentioned the MTF tests to him for his existing lens in another thread), I wanted to point out that if his existing lens is working fine, why upgrade, unless he has a genuine need to upgrade.

Some people will have a genuine need. For example, if you're shooting landscapes with lots of fine detail and want larger prints, every little bit helps.

But, at most viewing and print sizes, it probably won't make much difference, and you can end up spending a lot more money, for a small increase in quality, especially if you're stopping down to smaller apertures where lens differences won't be as obvious.