Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 24, 2006, 1:16 PM   #1

Yesterday I finally had a great photo op. The Queen Mary 2 sailed into port close to the QM1 where I live. I grabbed my new 5D along with my kit lens and a 70-210 f4 to try out my new camera and my ability. I shot about 50 pictures and was not impressed with what I ended up with.

First off I had the exposure mode dial set to sunset along with color mode thinking that the palm tree meant sunlight. ISO was 400, wide AF, WB daylight, and I kept the ev scale in the viewfinder between 0 and + 1 by turning the controldial. PS Elements auto levels made it look better but I know that this camera is capable of better shots. How would you have approached this shot (settings used)? Thanks for any input; Mike
Attached Images

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2006, 1:25 PM   #2

This shot of the Queen Mary was taken with the same settings. It sure would have been nice to have gotten both ships in one shot but yuo really needed a boat or helicopter to accomplish that
Attached Images

Old Feb 24, 2006, 2:31 PM   #3
E.T

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
First off I had the exposure mode dial set to sunset along with color mode thinking that the palm tree meant sunlight...
That definitely affects very much to results.
Camera seems to have same symbols as A2 so isn't there low sun with palm tree... and in case of JPEG it's hard to save shot which has been processed wrong.

P-mode is normal automatic mode, that sunset and those others are just special scene modes so don't use them unless situation is exactly that. (/before using them read manual)

BTW, there's own DSLR forum and you might get more help for best settings from there.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 4:04 PM   #4

Thanks ET i'll post in other forum.