Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 24, 2006, 5:27 PM   #1

I'm new to the DSLR world. Yesterday the Queen Mary 2 sailed next to the original Queen Mary so I grabed my 5D along with the kit lens and a 70-210 f4 lens. Not having my instruction manual with me I adjusted my settings as such.

Exposure mode dial turned to sunset ( I mistakenly thought itmeant sunlight),

70-210 lens, the ship was about 3/4 of a mile away.

ISO 400,

WB daylight-0,

kept the ev scale in the viewfinder at 0 to +1.

Had my elbows firmly planted on a wall and these ar the 2 best photo's I got. I did an auto levels correction with elements but it still alot left to be desired.

How would have adjusted you settings for this shot.

Thanks for any replies. Mike
Attached Images

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2006, 5:29 PM   #2

Second shot same settings. I was really trying to get both ships in the same frame but you needed a helicopter or boat. Would have been nice.
Attached Images

Old Feb 24, 2006, 7:03 PM   #3
Administrator

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
Exposure mode dial turned to sunset ( I mistakenly thought itmeant sunlight),
That's a scene mode (or Digital Subject Mode as KM appears to refer to them in the manual) and is likely to be changing all sorts of stuff related to color, contrast and saturation and white balance.

So, the approach I'd take is not to use them unless you're trying to take photos in the exact conditions they are designed for and like their effect (after you try it to see what it does in a given set of conditions).

I don't know how they work in the conditions they're intended for, since I've never taken any photos in the scene modes available yet (but, then again, I've only had a 5D since October). ;-)

If you're going to use them, I'd suggest trying them to see what impact they have in a giving lighting condition first to see if you like the type of processing the camera applies.

Otherwise, stick to modes that are not going to have a big impact on things like color.

I typically shoot in Av Mode or Manual Exposure (if using one of the flash units I've got for it). I've used the P mode a few times, too (just spinning the control wheel when I wanted to vary what the Autoexposure Algorithms would use for aperture/shutter speed combination).

I've yet to try any of the scene modes to see how they work.

But, I didn't use the scene modes on other cameras I've used with that feature, either. So, I'm not making an exception for this one. ;-)

I wish KM would have given the mode dial position the 3 memory locations they gave to the 7D instead of the scene modes. That would be a far more useful to me.

But, scene modes seem to be a popular thing to put on cameras, and I can understand it if some owners like them. They may work just fine for their intended purpoose (I don't know because I haven't tried them).

But, if you weren't trying to capture a Sunset and had the mode dial set that way, then I would expect photos to look off in color, saturation, and contrast from the way a neutral non-scene mode selection would have worked.

White Balance selection can also have an impact on color. Outdoors, more often than not, I'll use Auto White Balance.

But, if I do choose to use a preset for WB outdoors, I'd rather err towards a warmer look.

Of course, custom is the way to have the most accurate WB (versus any of the presets or Auto WB).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 7:56 PM   #4

I'd stay away from modes too. What F stop did you shoot at as there's no EXIF info in the shots?
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 8:49 PM   #5

I don't recall what F stop I was in. I just kept the pointer in the ev scale near 0 to +1 and I guess the camera figured out the F stop as I adjusted the shutter speed. One thing I'm noticing is how much easier it is to take a bad picture compared to my old Sony DSC-S75. But on the other side of it I know that this camera is much more capable of taking great shots. I just have to learn how to use it.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:02 PM   #6

Try shooting aperture priority starting F8 or greater for those kind of shots. No need to shoot ISO 400 in that situation and fast shutter speeds aren't need. Play around in Av and take lots of shots and keep track of what different settings do to your shots. Practice a lot in situations where you're not worried about losing a shot or two so when the important stuff comes along you'll be ready.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:17 PM   #7

Thanks for the suggestions nooner I'llstart using the Av mode. Would you use the auto ISO or use a preset?
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:55 PM   #8

Until you get used to the camera I would use auto ISO and WB. As you get more used to it, play around. No film costs so shoot a bunch and take note of how settings effect the shots. Look at the exif info if you can't remember what you did.:O