Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 24, 2006, 8:09 PM   #1

First of all - thanks to all who have posted questions and advice on this forum. I've found it to be very helpful and informative during my decision-making process in choosing a new Minolta DSLR. I ultimately decided on the Maxxum 7D and just received the camera yesterday.

The 7D is definitely an impressive camera. I haven't played with it very much yet but I wanted to post that the first thing I noticed when I turned it on is the strange noise someone mentioned in an earlier post. Not only can you hear the noise but there is also a vibration coming from inside the camera when the noise is happening. So it is not just the 5D that does this... my brand new 7D does it as well!

Everything seems to be in working order but I noticed that I have 2 bad pixels in my LCD display. Does anyone else have this problem? The manual says that 99.99% of the pixelsoperate properlyand that less than.01%of thepixels are displayed as color orbright points. I have 1 bright pixel and one red pixel close to the center of the display. I'm assuming they won't show up on the photos but it bothers me to see them there. Should I send it in for repair?
LaurieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:26 AM   #2
Administrator

You'll need to decide.

If it were mine, I'd probably try to get the vendor I bought it from to replace it.

But, bad pixels on the LCD will not impact the image itself.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 6:29 PM   #3

my 7D does NOT make funny 'grinding' sounds and has NO vibration

all the pixels were and still are (after 1 year of HEAVY use) OK

sounds like a lemon
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 6:54 PM   #4
Administrator

Listen very carefully with no lens attached and you can hear the AS initialization routine (or if you can't hear it, you might be able to feel it).

But, most of the noise/vibration owners hear is coming from the attached lens (watch the focus distance window/focus ring on many lenses and you'll see it changing during camera startup). IOW, most of it is coming from the attached lens (something in the firmware routines sets the focus distance to a default value with many lenses).

Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:13 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies.

I know what your are saying about the lens noise... I getthe lensnoise as well with my Maxxum 7 film camera. The 7D has a different noise... maybe the later models are built slightly differently? I tried it without a lens... the noise and vibration are coming from within the camera.

Maybe I do have a lemon. I'll call the retailer Monday and see if they will exchange it.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:54 PM   #6
Administrator

I think it's just some type of initialization routine for calibrating the anti-shake system. I've seen it debated before elsewhere. They may have made some changes during production on how it works. Try a different camera and see if it's the same as what you're hearing with yours.

But, if I had bad pixels on the LCD, I'd try to get my dealer to replace it.

Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:49 PM   #7

Both my 7D and 5D make the same noise at startup. I don't even care to venture a guess at what the source of the noise is but it is the same in both cameras. Normal to me...
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:21 AM   #8

I too have startup and minor shutdown noise, but otherwise I have only the autofocus and shutter noise. I personally wouldn't worry much about bad pixels on the display, because I hardly use it. It is always covered with the transparent LCD protection plastic, which clearly makes the LCD less bright. On the other hand, if you want to sell the camera on Ebay sometime in the future, the bad pixels certainly cost you money.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 6:03 AM   #9

Well, I exchanged my camera. This one seems to be in perfect working order. And no bad pixels!

The vibration and noise are present with this camera, too. I'm convinced it is normal on the later models.

Thanks for all the feedback!