Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 7, 2006, 7:34 PM   #11
Administrator

I found out that KM added a metallic shield for the CCD in the 5D. So, that may be part of the reason we're seeing good high ISO performance from it.

A poster in another forum pointed it out, noting that some owners of both models think the 5D has the advantage at higher ISO speeds from a noise perspective.

Here is a slide show from KM in France.

Slide 7 mentions the new shield.

Konica Minolta France Slide Show Comparison of 5D and 7D

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:58 PM   #12

This explanation makes more sense then using two slightly different CCDs for the two cameras. On the other hand, because the 7D has already a metal body, the metal shield may only be necessary for the 5D.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 4:09 PM   #13
Administrator

Well, since the shield could not be in front of the CCD, and you'd have electrical components behind the sensor shielding it from external sources, it seems to me that it's more likely designed to shield the sensor from other internal components in the camera.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 3:29 AM   #14

Hello,
I'm a new member from Indonesia. I would like to ask whether the 7d is essentially better than the 5d. Fyi, I'm just an amateur (serious hobbyist).Yesterday someone offered me a brand new 7d for a good price, should I upgrade to 7d or should I wait for Sony's new dslr?

thanks,
ario
Ario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:19 AM   #15

Hi to all of you!

Yesterday I change my Dynax 5D body for a brand new Dynax 7D...as here in Israel, the price of the 7D drop a lot. As also I own a Maxxum film body 9xi...really I love the big "Pentaprism" viewfinder...in a close comparation; the film body 9xi has a bigger viewfinder; whatever I love "Metal" bodies...so 7D will reamin with me ever..., I sold only the 5D body, fitting the received "Kit" lens to my newer acquired 7D body.

Among us...I'm extremely happy now that at least I was able to own this superb & better build body...came fited from the factory with the last firmware 1.10e.

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:38 PM   #16

im contemplating doing that too, the 7D body prices are now ridiculous, practically the same as the 5D with the kit lens, and im going to replace the kit lens, and will probably sell the 5D with kit lens if i do this.

the only reason i see, after looking around, is that the 7D has a steel body, which would make it more durable, and time lapse feature. i didnt feel confident with the metals 75-200 mm lens on my 5D, thought no problems occured in that area, i just feel that the body isn't that well suiter for heavy lenses as the 7D is. what do you think?
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 2:40 AM   #17

Hi DorkUnderwater!

My prime reason, that I "Run" to change the bodies, was...the FAR better viewfinder of the 7D...as I already own the Maxxum 9xi film body...can't settle down with an a inferior viewfinder! Second I love better build bodies as you named "Metals" ones. Third, I'm thinking to change my 5D kit..adding two other 35mm film lenses a Sigma 18-35mm + a Tokina 35-200mm one, for receive the KM 18-200mm D zoom lens, so I never will need to change lenses annulling dust/dirt to enter and be settle at the CCD sensor.(Maybe I'm a "Mad" man...!?), but I hate to see "Such" dark spots mainly at photos with a lot of "Sky"...so avoiding/keeping off the change of lenses...always my sensor will be clean.

I hope that my reply answer your question?

Do it...change for the more "PRO"...7D

Good Luck,

Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:59 AM   #18

You an also add the battery grip with the 7D (making it a better portrait camera, if that's what you mainly do). The 7D is also geared towards more experienced film users & has none of the "learner" modes.....night scene, sports action, landscape, etc, etc.

As a bonus, you can also use it as a mugger-club in a pinch ;-P
Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:08 AM   #19

Dear Kalypso!

If you wrote me...NO...I don't need to add any grip or a spare battery, I do mostly landscapes...for so I guess, that the 18-200mm will help me more that the "Kit"...for landscape photos, did you agreed?

Also, don't forgot...that for more of 40 years I'm an a Pro photographer...so the 7D suits/accommodates me 100%.

Cheers,

Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:29 AM   #20

I wasn't writing to any particular poster (I use PM's for that).