Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 28, 2006, 1:38 AM   #1

I've been lurking for a while, and attempting to learn a bit. I have a question I couldn't find an answer to. I've had the 5d for a couple of weeks and been getting lucky getting some recomended lenses. I now have the kit lens, a 50mm 1.7, 70-210mm f/4, and a 35-70mm 1:4 with the macro switch. Anyway.. I was just testing the 35-70 today and when I put it in macro mode it will not focus. Is this normal? can the macro switch only be used with MF?

Thanks!

Ray
ramman! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2006, 2:29 AM   #2

I was just playing around a little more with the 35-70, I think it seems to have a focus problem even with out being in the macro mode... Something across the room with enough light it will focus. If I try to focus close or even 4-6 feet away from something it will just blink and not focus.And it does this anywhere through the whole range.I tried the same kind of shots with the kit lens and it focuses fast and has no problems. Its to bad, the lens looks to be barely used. Does this sound like something that could be fixed? Or is it not worth the price of the lens?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 5:40 PM   #3

hmm, I figured someone would know the answer to my first question... Anyone know where I could get a repair manual for the 35-70? Maybe i'll give it a shot.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 5:49 PM   #4
Administrator

I recently got this lens (35-70mm f/4 Macro).

I used it a couple of weekends ago taking some snapshots at a get together at a friend of my brother-in-laws, using a Sunpak 333 Auto flash via an adapter to give my 5D an ISO standard hotshoe.

My initial impressions are that it's a sharp little lens. I was using it down a stop from wide open at f/5.6

I got one from http://www.keh.com in a camera package that included a Minolta 7000 and a 35-70mm f/4 for only $52.00 (and they had some lenses by themselves starting at out $29 in budget condition at the time).

They have a 14 day return policy on used gear, too (from invoice data, so shipping time takes away from it). But, that lets you make sure a lens works OK. If you get a lemon, return it. As a general rule, KEH has the most conservative ratings around on used gear. BTW, I've never had to return a lens I got from them.

My copy seems to work fine focusing indoors in typical indoor lighting.

I haven't played with the macro switch yet. If yours won't focus at all in light where your kit lens does, it's probably defective.

As for a repair manual, I don't know where you'd find one.

But, these lenses are dirt cheap used, so I'd probably just buy another one.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:20 PM   #5

OK thanks Jim. Most of the lenses i've gotten and still looking for are from your recommendations i've seen in various posts. I got this lens in a package with a maxxum 5000, flash and 70-210 f/4.

I think all I have left to look for for now, is something wide that is better the the kit lens, a macro lens some where around 100mm, and a 2x teleconverter. And then I just need to learn how to use it all..... :lol:

Thanks

Ray
Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:30 PM   #6

When in macro mode, the lens focuses by zooming in or out, not by using the normal focusing elements. This is normal. Thus, the automatic focusing is disengaged and you must focus by using the zoom ring.
colemanlaw is offline   Reply With Quote