Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 28, 2006, 1:43 PM   #1

What are the mostly preferred lenses people buy for the KM 5D?

Most shots will be 75% stationary with either regular outdoor lighting or indoor lighting. Don't think until I learn to use the cameraa little more will I be doing night shots.

Ranges from 5 feet to 25 feet.

Any suggestions which lenses I should look at getting?
DJMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2006, 3:39 PM   #2
Administrator

It depends on a variety of factors...

Do you need the ability to take exiting light photos without a flash indoors?

If so, you'll want a brighter lens.

At a minimum in a zoom for existing light use, you'll want one with a constant f/2.8 aperture throughout the focal range. A popular choice is the Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8

One to keep an eye out in a bright zoom starting out a bit wider is the recently announced Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II

They haven't announced pricing yet AFAIK, and it's not shipping yet.

http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/news/rele...s0215_a16.html

My best guess would be around $499 for it (about what Sigma is listing their 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC lens at).

Depending on lighting, even that may not be bright enough in some conditons, though.

In brighter primes (non-zoom lenses), 28mm f/2, 35mm f/2 nd 50mm f/1.7 are popular choices. You can get even brighter f/1.4 lenses for very low light use (35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4).

May favorite lens for indoor use without a flash in most conditons is my Minolta 28mm f/2 (although I'm keeping an eye on the just announced Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC lens for when I may want something even brighter).

You may want something wider than 28mm provides at times for some conditions.

The 18-70mm kit lens is a popular choice as a walk around lens, since it starts out a bit wider. If you don't mind using a flash, it would be OK as indoor lens, too.

It's not as sharp as some of the more expensive and heavier lenses at wide open apertures, but it's got good bang for the buck when you get it with the camera kit, and it's small and light.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 5:15 PM   #3

Well I'm starting to second guess my self about this DSLR is it hard to remember what lens to use when to capture that perfect picture?

Anyone suggest a book for dummies?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 5:19 PM   #4

Are these DSLR cameras like the KM 5D more for people who plan to set the stage?

Like test your lighting then pick your lens shutter speeds, etc.

Or is the KM 5D also a good point & shoot if need be?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 5:25 PM   #5
Administrator

Lens choice is a compromise with any camera (and that includes non-DSLR models, too, as you have big differences in lens brightness, quality, and focal range between them).

You consider size, weight, focal range, optical quality, build quality, ergonomics, AF speed, resistance to flare, sharpness and contrast at various focal ranges and apertures, color, and of course, cost.

If you want a lens that's capable of shooting in more conditions, you go with a lens that's brighter (larger available apertures, represented by smaller f/stop numbers).

That also means it's going to be larger and heavier (and more expensive) for the same focal range (wide to long).

If you want to use it as a point and shoot and don't mind using a flash when your indoors, just get the 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DT kit lens. ;-)

If you want a lens that's capable of shooting non-stationary subjects in lower light without a flash (and indoors is low light to a camera), go with a brighter lens with f/2.8 or larger apertures available (represented by smaller f/stop numbers) at all available focal lengths (most zoom lenses lose brightness when you zoom in).

A brighter lens has to be larger and heavier for any given focal length/range, and that also adds cost.

As I said before, the Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8 is a popular lens that's brighter than the kit lens.

It's all a tradeoff.

Old Feb 28, 2006, 8:56 PM   #6

I agree with Jim- the "kit lens" 17-70 is a decent place to start. It's not as sharp or bright as professional level lenses, but it's nowhere near the price either. The next lens I'd buy is the 50mm f1.7. It's bright, sharp and small- and it's fairly cheap also. By the time you've explored those lenses, you'll have a better idea of what needs you'll have, and will be in a better position to select your own lenses.

I know of no "dummies" book, but the 5d has a fully automatic setting,all you need to know to get started is how to install the battery and CF card.

In my experience, SLR ownership is as complicated as you make it. If you buy a ton of lenses for every situation, you will have better results but will need a second job to afford it. If you're more spartan, you could get by most of the time on 2-3 lenses (I'd get a 35-70f4, a 70-210 f4, and a 50mm f1.7)and a flash.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:03 PM   #7

Hey Jim would you buy the 5D or 7D for yourself along with future usage and upgrade availablity coming?
Old Mar 1, 2006, 7:48 AM   #8
Administrator

DJMic wrote:
Quote:
Hey Jim would you buy the 5D or 7D for yourself along with future usage and upgrade availablity coming?
I've already got one (Maxxum 5D). :-)

I also have a Minolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, 135mm f/2.8, 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5, 35-70mm f/4 Macro, 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 (kit lens); Tamron 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5 and Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8 in Minolta Maxxum mount.

I got most of them at bargain basement prices on the used market. Yep... I've got some overlap there... but, I got them cheap enough.

I don't have anything longer than 135mm (yet), and I wouldn't mind having a brighter prime for low light restaurants and clubs, compared to my Minolta 28mm f/2 (the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC is now on my radar, since Sigma announced it would be available in Maxxum mount).

I didn't have *any* Minolta gear at all until not long before the 5D started shipping (I started buying Minolta lenses first because I was interested in going with a KM DSLR). I figured that if I changed my mind, I'd just sell them on Ebay. I didn't change my mind. My existing lenses were Nikkor.

These KM models attracted me because I haven't had much luck getting photos in some of the bars around here with very low light (mostly lit by a few candles in some), and the anti-shake with every lens, especially bright primes was very appealing. No other manufacturer can give you that.

Old Mar 7, 2006, 1:18 AM   #9

WOW my KM 5D showed up today... having a blast trying different settings and testing it out.

I'm wondering what can anyone suggest for good MACRO lens I take lots of close ups of Electronic circut boards and pictures for eBay.

Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2006, 1:40 AM   #10

Tamron 90mm Macro
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote